C54 Skymaster

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

C54 Skymaster

Post by Carter »

One flew over the house this morning while I was outside so I got a good look, silver with US markings, flying West. There's no missing those 4 round engines droning along, looked to be at about 2500 to 3000'. Think it's probably the same one I have seen before, last time it was flying around Frederick Md. Airport which had a show that weekend. May have been it's way to another air show this weekend. Was nice to see the old Douglas is still in the air and sounding good. :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Re: C54 Skymaster

Post by rixm37 »

Nothing beats the sounds of radial engines !!!
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Esp. four of them.
Carter
Life Member:
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Especially 6 of them facing backwards.

Of course one should also hold the R/R and Packard built Merlin in high esteem as well.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Av8r
PVT
PVT

Post by Av8r »

I tend to prefer the sound of the large radials like the one in my avatar. 2800 cubic inches, 18 cylinders, 36 spark plugs, 2000+ horsepower. Some say such engines sound nicer to the person on the ground, that you really need to be outside the plane so you can hear the engine fully thought the exhaust and pick up the the extra notes the prop adds to the sound. I say a person who thinks that has never had the throttle of of one of these beasts in their hand before. Something about the sound and feel of a large radial while watching it through an oil streaked windshield is by far the best way to hear an engine like this!

As to the C-54 that is probably the Berlin Airlift Foundation's airplane. They are based somewhere up in the northeast, New Jersey maybe? They have a beautifully restored C-54 that they take around the country as a museum and tribute to the Berlin Airlift. They even took it to Europe a few years ago as I recall. A good group keeping an important part of history alive.
John Davidson

'43 GPW
'52 M-37
'43 Stinson L-5
'59 Cessna L-19E/O-1
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

I was able to tour the C-54E "Spirit Of Freedom" last year up in Oshkosh, Wis. during the EAA Airventure. Very cool aircraft, Yes the interior was set up as a museum with pictures and artifacts from the Berlin airlift. I talked with Kevin Kearney, the Vice President of the Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation out of New Jersey , he mentioned about going back to the original airstrip in Europe, its still there but the buildings that are there now but not back then, made it a pretty hairly landing approch :shock: Its a Very interesting mobile museum to see if you get the chance
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Last time I saw that C54 it was in the air but someone later told me it was the Berlin Air Lift Foundation's plane but was never able to see it on the ground to check out it's display. I thought that's which one I saw since there aren't many flying around here I've seen.
As a kid I saw war weary B17s, B29s and C47s that were landing at APG and one time the Northrup Flying Wing but never took much note of 4 engine transports as from the ground they looked like all the other commercial planes in the air.

Carter
Life Member:
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Cuz I agree all the old piston engines sound great . BUT wait six pushers :shock: that could only be the B36. Six turning and 4 burning ! I have only seen that baby in flight in the old "Strategic Air Comand" movie with Jimmy Stuart and June Allison. Great flying scenes. The sound in the movie isn't the best, but it must have been incredible to have heard one fly over head in person. We now have one here at the Pima Air and Space Museum and it is huge.

Just a note, the silver B52 in the background is balls 3 that was the mother ship for the X15 ...but that's another story.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506