Need photos or drawings of bows and hardware for canvas cab

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Need photos or drawings of bows and hardware for canvas cab

Post by Jeff in north Texas »

I have never seen a canvas cab M37 close up. I think mine has some parts missing that will be needed to install a new cab top I want to order.
Where can I find a drawing, parts breakdown, or photo showing the open cab with all the bows and hardware ready for a canvas installation. I see lots of photos with the cab on, and with it off. But nothing shows what holds canvas to the windows, back of cab, and what keeps it tight across the top.
Help!!
Thanks,
Jeff
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

I can email you a couple.......
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Rick,
That would be great. The more the better. I am a "visual" kind of person.
I can read all about something and not figure it out. But, just give me a couple of pictures and I am good to go.
Jeff
dman
PFC
PFC

Canvas top

Post by dman »

I had a similar question I have a top coming from WEEBEE this week and have no idea how to put it on I figure it can't be too hard. I ordered a cab top hardware kit from VPW it was fairly easy to put on however I got two large "U bolts" and do not know where they go.
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

From my very short time of owning an M37, I think I can help you with the "U" bolt use.
The u bolt fits in a little hole down in each back corner of the cab. It is kind of a wide slot down behind the corners of the seat backs. When you stick the "L" shaped post/side window frame down in it's hole at the cab corner, it goes through this u bolt. Then you tighten the u bolt to hold these "L" shaped frames in position. If I am wrong here, someone please correct me, as this is how I set mine up.
Jeff
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

You're correct with regard to the "U" bolt. It goes in a slot behind the door jamb and the top hardware slides down through it. Tighten up the nuts, and there ya go...except for one thing. There are also a couple of "J" bolts that do the same thing a bit lower on the door jamb. These are basically "U" bolts with one leg amputated. (Not enough room wto work a wrench on a second nut down there.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Alright, now I know what those "J" bolts are for. I thought they were broken "U" bolts the previous owner had just thrown in the glovebox. I am glad I didn't thow them away.
Jeff
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer wrote:You're correct with regard to the "U" bolt. It goes in a slot behind the door jamb and the top hardware slides down through it. Tighten up the nuts, and there ya go...except for one thing. There are also a couple of "J" bolts that do the same thing a bit lower on the door jamb. These are basically "U" bolts with one leg amputated. (Not enough room wto work a wrench on a second nut down there.)
Mine had the "J" bolts higher up and the "U" bolts lower down. Is mine correct or do I have them switched, or does it even matter?
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Re: Canvas top

Post by Nickathome »

dman wrote:I had a similar question I have a top coming from WEEBEE this week and have no idea how to put it on I figure it can't be too hard. I ordered a cab top hardware kit from VPW it was fairly easy to put on however I got two large "U bolts" and do not know where they go.
DMAN;

I can take photos of the cab installation process from my manual and can email them to you if you want.

Installation is pretty easy. You slide the front of the top through the long slit on the front of the windshield (left to right), then fold the top down onto the frame and slide the two sides into their respective slots. Also you will notice metal clips that go into slots above each door window. Then you cinch the rope over each hook around the back of the cab and you're pretty much done. I had mine on then took it off when I painted my truck, so will be reinstalling mine soon. Hope it didn't shrink.

Do you have the two straps that go from windshield to rear bow? If not you will need them to keep the top from sagging. They're easily obtained though.
dman
PFC
PFC

CAN top pictures

Post by dman »

Nick

Pictures would be great can you send them to dhart@nortel.com? Yes I have the two straps.

Thanks much
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I may have had that "bass ackwards," Nick. It's the upper one that's cramped for space. Try the "J" bolts at the top and the "U" bolts at the lower end. That should work better. :oops:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

"J" Bolts

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer;

Thats how I have mine now. The J bolt was at the top when I bought my truck.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Re: CAN top pictures

Post by Nickathome »

dman wrote:Nick

Pictures would be great can you send them to dhart@nortel.com? Yes I have the two straps.

Thanks much
dman;

Sent you an email. Let me know if you are able to open the pictures files. If not I can send them again.