Electrical issue

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Electrical issue

Post by Rick C »

Haven't run into this in the 14 years I've owner her so here goes. Went to take the M37 to a memeorail day parade and she started up, and I backed her into driveway, then shut her down. When I went to leave for the parade, I got nothing when I hit the starter pedal. Gauges just barley moved when I turned on teh ignition switch. The battery gauge is at the top end of the red/yellow. My multimeter shows 24+ volys at battery & both sides of kill switch (when its on). After fiddling for a while she started up and I left her running until I got home from the parade. Cpl days later I pulled it out of garage...no problem.....
Today I went to move the M37 so I could get my M38 out and we are back to the dead truck situation. Headlights come on slowly and dimly but the parking lights are bright as are the panel lights.
Am I dealing with a dead battery or a short somewhere? I don't hear any breaklers cliccking or any arcing from a short anywhere in the truck.
Truck is electrically stock except for military solid state directionals, military alternator, Hella 24v headlights..
Thanks
Rick
Cal_Gary

Re: Electrical issue

Post by Cal_Gary »

Loose ground wire perhaps? Starter solenoid contacts starting to go?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Those intermittent spooks are a real PITA. When it does happen leave the master switch on and start checking with a voltmeter from the battery + on downstream until you get a low reading.

Corroded or burned starter mounted switch contacts will usually only affect the operation of the starter. You said dim lights as well with only the master switch turned on.

That symptom is common too corroded battery terminals. Not just that foamy looking green or white corrosion but that almost invisible bluish film on the terminals and posts. A good wire brushing of all posts and all terminals will usually solve it.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

You might check the batteries for load draw, you can have correct voltage from a battery but it might have a weak cell and will not with stand the draw of current being asked for when cranking the engine . What happens are the plates inside the battery start to break down and short out to each other, as the material falls to the bottom of the battery it will cause a weak or dead cell? When you try to start it the material at the bottom of the battery will move and open the cell back up but this will happen only a few times before the cell is totally dead.
Take the batteries out of the series and load test each one to check for a bad cell, if the batteries are good then start chasing down connections at the grounds and the starter, clean the terminals at the battery’s make sure the battery cables are not full of corrosion and causing to much resistance ,
Just a few things to check after the vehicle set for awhile.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Check your ground from the batts to the truck make sure it's clean and tight. Check the battery terminals as suggested above and make sure they are clean and tight. Check for something draining the battery as metioned and check to make sure you don't have any cables cut or knicked and are shorting to the frame or body. Good luck as stated this type of problem is always a real PITA.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Electrical issue Update

Post by Rick C »

I'm leaning towards a battery issue. I topped off the cells in the 2 batteries after removing them. Put one on a trickle charger and it charged...second one never charged after 2+ days and the water boiled out all over the floor.....
Rick

PS Got my new transfer case seals, flange and speedie sleeves today....should be busy for a while!
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Rick;
This is a common occurrence here in Arizona! Battery’s will only make it from 18 months to 2.5 years. When they fail you might start up and go to the store and come back out and no juice, if you use a battery tender they seem to last a bit longer but not always.
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

Hi Rick.
Sounds like you may have found your problem, but while I'm at it, I'll still sing my song: bad ground. Be sure to double check the battery yo frame ground connection - use dielectric grease & internal/external tooth washers at the frame (gas-tight). While you're at it, check the integrity of your battery to battery cable. Sometimes those can wiggle loose. Wish I was closer to help chase those gremlins!
Just remember, "You can trust your mother ..."
- Jim
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

Thanks Jim. Been at work for 48 hours and still have another day to go so no truck work this week. I bought batteries and am getting all new cables. Cleaned the frame ground.... so far so good!!!
Rick