Top bows?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Joe
CPL
CPL

Top bows?

Post by Joe »

What's the difference between the bows used on the cargo bed top and those used on the M101 trailers? I know they're similar but different but how do you tell the difference?
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

It is how the bolt holes are drilled in the brackets/bows.

The bolts go through for the wood on M37 from left to right.

M101 bolts go through from top to bottom or inside to outside.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

Are these the correct corner pieces?
I had a long conversation about top bows and especially corner pieces with a guy that sells parts a few weeks ago. I had four corners with holes drilled for bolts to fit outside to inside that I knew were not for an M37. I was told that corners of that type were used on WC series trucks during World War II.

I traded the WWII corners for the bows I have now because they looked just like the ones in the pictures from the TM's. I was told they are off of an early M101 and use exactly the same corner pieces as the M37. The uprights are metal instead of wood and the wood crosspiece is a few inches longer than it should be for the M37. I plan to trim them down and replace the metal uprights with wood to make them more correct.

Collin
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Collin said: "I had a long conversation about top bows and especially corner pieces with a guy that sells parts a few weeks ago. I had four corners with holes drilled for bolts to fit outside to inside that I knew were not for an M37. I was told that corners of that type were used on WC series trucks during World War II.

I traded the WWII corners for the bows I have now because they looked just like the ones in the pictures from the TM's. I was told they are off of an early M101 and use exactly the same corner pieces as the M37. "

I was told by several different people that the M101 and M37 bows were different and that the M101s used the bolts that go from inside to outside. But I've been looking at every M37 and M101A1 picture that I could find and every reference that I could find and I already suspected what you're saying (the M-37 and M101 bows are the same). I don't know where the cross bolted bows came from but WW II WC series trucks are a good bet.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

Those look exacty like mine. The bracket that hold on the tie-up strap is missing, but shouldn't be too hard to replace. Try misdwest military (John) or Veteran Vehicles (Bob) Both will know precisely what you need, can pull obscure parts like that from thin air, and are fair people.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.