Replacing air filter. Question about the distributor lines

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Replacing air filter. Question about the distributor lines

Post by ZGjethro »

I have a few questions. I am thinking of putting a K&N cone filter on my ETW1 carb. I would make a flanged tube to bolt up to the carb and the filter would go on the end. I could easily run the vent lines from the oil filler, gas tank and master cylinder into the flanged tube. What about the distributor cooling lines? I was wondering if the vacuum lines for my wipers could be used to cool the distributor. I will be going to electric wipers and I have an electric fuel pump. Would I gain better cooling this way, or would the original cooling design be better? Thanks for any advice about this unusual idea.. John
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Can't you just put the filter on the original elbow?
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I might be able to put the filter on the original elbow. I was thinking I might get a little better air flow if I eliminated three ninety degree turns. I run the truck from 8000' to 12000' in elevation and any help getting air into the motor would help. I am open to any ideas.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I went to the K&N website. They have a filter for any possible auto application. Other than leaning out the fuel/air mixture, can anyone see any negative of using one?. Will increased air speed at the entrance of the carb affect vacuum function?
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

The only thing that you half to do is make sure you have positive air flow though the distributor how that happens it doesn’t matter but if it does not flow you will cook coils!
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Your dual fuel/vac pump will do just fine pulling the distributor venting job. The Willys M38 and M38A1 use the vac pump source. The only note here is to use a .040 restriction between the suck side of the distributor and the vac pump.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks for the confirmation guys. The vacuum lines on my truck are a mess and I needed to re-do them. I think I will delete the wiper lines and use the dual function fuel pump to cool my coil. That will make my intake modification a little cleaner appearing.