what electric fuel pump and pressure regulator

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

what electric fuel pump and pressure regulator

Post by ZGjethro »

Hi. This is my first posting here though reading other people's questions has helped me out a few times. I have been having flooding problems, to the point that my plugs are fouled and the truck won't run. I have sent my distributor and carb to M Series Rebuild for work to eliminate any problems there. My question is, what 24 volt fuel pump is most recommended by people doing retrofits?. I have ordered a Holley 12-804 pressure regulator and a pressure gauge also, as I do not trust the cheap plastic regulator that was on the truck when I bought it.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

More to the point, what pressure range and gallons per minute do you look for in an electric fuel pump?
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Is there a specific reason you are not using the mechanical fuel pump that is original to the engine? Electric fuel pumps and their associated regulators are usually a band aid for other repairable fuel delivery issues. The original mechanical pumps are more than adequate with a well maintained plumbing and filter system.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I bought my truck with the electric fuel pump and the pressure regulator already installed. I replaced the pressure regulator and wanted to be sure the pump was appropriate. I never really gave any consideration to using the mechanical pump and just kind of assumed the electric ones were superior.

I have been having bad flooding problems, which I am just starting to address. What do others think of mechanical vs electrical pumps? Thanks. John
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I like to use both on some appications. An electric is especially handy if you're prone to running out of fuel. Mechanical pumps take forever to suck fuel from the tank to the pump after the line has gone dry. An electric will refill the line in seconds. If you've got a flow through electric pump it can then be shut off and the vehicle ran (run?) on the mechanical pump.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Cuz and Master Yota, thanks for the replies. They have got me thinking of using the mechanical pump also. I do not know why it was bypassed or if it is still good. I am cleaning up the fuel lines as they are a frankenstein mess of rubber and steel pieces with a lot of hose clamps involved, and the fuel cutoff valve leaks. I will be using 5/16 injector hose from the original fuel filter to my fender mounted pressure regulator. I can always interrupt this line to put it on the Mechanical pump. Are there any temperature issues with this?
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

There was originally a heat shield mounted above the pump to keep the exhaust manifold heat from boiling the gas. You might need to fabricate one.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The usuall reason for bypassing the factory pump is that the vacume diaphram is toast. Once it goes, it allows fuel to leak past into the engine block and mix with the oil. Gasoline makes a good parts cleaner, but a lousy lubricant and more than one engine has been ruined this way.

Definitley worth pulling the factory pump off and inspecting it before hooking it back up again. A rebuild kit should be fairly easy to source from some of the vendors mentioned on this site.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Don't source an NOS rebuild kit from anyone, diaphragm will be deteriorated and is not compatible with today's gasoline.

www.then-now.com can furnish a current manufacture rebuild kit that will work just fine. The only source I know of for a good quality kit. They also offer rebuild service if needed.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com