OUCH! Anybody have a spare hood?!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

OUCH! Anybody have a spare hood?!

Post by Cal_Gary »

Just got back from a long holiday vacation. Returned to find a half-ton of tree limbs that came crashing down on my hood during the wind storms last week. Hood has a foot-deep dent in the right-front and the support panel (was brand new) is now toast as well, as is the new truck cover that changed from its role as a"shroud" to "shredded". Of course, the apartment management assumes no responsibility for the damage. I have pics but the hard-drive isn't working either....

The up-side is that the brand new canvas was spared and none of the glass was broken, but the management still hasn't sent the crew over to remove the tree.

Does anyone have a spare hood available?
Bummin' in Monterey,
Gary :cry:
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Assumes no responsibility....

Post by Nickathome »

Were you made to sign a waiver from the apartment association giving up your right to sue in a situation like this? If not, take them to court. That statement is like a homeowner telling a person they assume no responsibility if they get hurt while on their property. Au Contraire, yes they do, and yes they are responsible regardless.

You have a reasonable expectation to be free from harm and or property damage while on the apartment's property. Sue them.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I believe that a consultation with a lawyer to find out exactly what options are available to you would certainly be the next step. He will be able to wade through the legal mumbo-jumbo of your contract and determine exactly what the management is responsible for and will be able to tell you if you have grounds for a lawsuit. If you do, then by all means take Nick's advice and sue the pants off the sucker!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

My friend I feel sorry for your misfortune, but I think both Nickathome and Lifer are right. Make sure you find out what your rights are, and then if they are to your favor, persue them. Good luck. PS sorry, no spare hood. As a matter of fact I want to replace mine as well, and get rid of the dent one I have. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Post by KenInGA »

Tough luck man. Definitely stick to your lawyer, and read the contract or whatever its called you signed when you leased the apartment to see what your rights are in a situation like this.

On the bright side, were this a new 3/4 ford or chevy pickup truck, you'd have to total it out... thank god for old iron...
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!
Reddman
PVT
PVT

INSURANCE

Post by Reddman »

Do you not have vehicle insurance on the M37? If not, you might now want to consider this option. :idea: We have ours insured thru Grundy Collector Car Insurance which is a zero deductible on such damage. Our "normal" vehicles are with State Farm with a low deductible. Our collector vehicles were with SF prior to learning about the collector vehicle insurance options. The M37 is covered for full collision/comprehensive, towing, uninsured motorist (get hit by a guy not owning insurance -- illegal but common), etc. and it is VERY affordable. Check it out for future accidents on your special vehicle. PS -- also -- insurance is for agreed value, which is an important issue with collector insurance. In the case you've described, the repair costs would be 100% covered. Oh, and no "mileage" requirements ... so driving to shows and exercising it on/off road are still covered.
Reddman
1954 M37
Military Police Reproduction
Circa 1970 Vietnam Era
On-Base Enforcement
"Cage-Kicker"
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Re: INSURANCE

Post by Dicktater »

Reddman wrote:Do you not have vehicle insurance on the M37? If not, you might now want to consider this option. :idea: We have ours insured thru Grundy Collector Car Insurance which is a zero deductible on such damage. Our "normal" vehicles are with State Farm with a low deductible. Our collector vehicles were with SF prior to learning about the collector vehicle insurance options. The M37 is covered for full collision/comprehensive, towing, uninsured motorist (get hit by a guy not owning insurance -- illegal but common), etc. and it is VERY affordable. Check it out for future accidents on your special vehicle. PS -- also -- insurance is for agreed value, which is an important issue with collector insurance. In the case you've described, the repair costs would be 100% covered. Oh, and no "mileage" requirements ... so driving to shows and exercising it on/off road are still covered.
Reddman
The truck would have to be stored in a locked garage for collector coverage. I think his was stored outside to incur limb damage.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks to all who've responded-we can all appreciate the world-wide support of our forum members, and I certainly do, so thanks again!

In CA, I can take no legal action against the apartment management unless I can prove negligence (which I cannot) since it was the worst wind-storm since 1955. Yes, I do have liability insurance on my M (don't leave home w/o it) so to speak, so that is not an option either, and I refuse to file with my renter's insurance because the premiums would increase more than the cost of the hood and hood support panel.

I have a couple of leads on another hood even though I might be able to salvage this one (since the limbs hit in front of the under-hood support brace), and I just won a pair of new hood support panels on E-bay.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
nivek
CPL
CPL

Gary, check your PM Inbox

Post by nivek »

Message there, RE: Hood

kL
'52 M-37 "Old Blue" still in 11enty-bazillion parts
'52 M-37 "Rusty Red" parted
Reddman
PVT
PVT

Re: INSURANCE

Post by Reddman »

Dicktater wrote: The truck would have to be stored in a locked garage for collector coverage. I think his was stored outside to incur limb damage.
My thought was that perhaps since he has had this happen, he might consider some type of comprehensive coverage. BEFORE we went with a collector insurance, we had State Farm. The collector insurance is more affordable, but the SF was affordable considering the alternative of very expensive repair costs. One of our vehicles was damaged in a similar situation, and costs were in the $3900 range. We were covered. With the cost of vehicles and repairs today, comprehensive/collision is an affordable option. :idea:
Cal_Gary, best wishes with the repair options you have available. I know w/o a doubt that your M will be as good as before, maybe even better and I know also that we will all look forward to seeing pics of the final outcome. Congrats by the way on the ebay find as well. Just goes to show that things are already starting to work out.
1954 M37
Military Police Reproduction
Circa 1970 Vietnam Era
On-Base Enforcement
"Cage-Kicker"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Just a temporary set-back. Had planned on being on the road by the end of 2007 but poor weather and the sky falling is going to delay me a month or two. After 3 and 1/2 years of blood sweat and tears working on the M, I can last a couple more months before I get it on the road :wink:
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well I got to take off the hood this past weekend and am happy to say it appears I can work out the massive dent, so I will not need another hood at this time. MANY THANKS to those who posted direct replies or sent PMs-your continued support is appreciated!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W