frame vin # location

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

frame vin # location

Post by rtkjmk »

:?: I am in the process of restoring my 1953 M37. I have located the cowl vin # , but where is the frame vin # located? thanks bob k
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Stamped into the left frame rail web just ahead of the steering gear box. If like most, you will have to remove multiple coats of paint to find it.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

Vin # Location

Post by rtkjmk »

:D charles, thanks for the info, I have been going crazy trying to find the c vin , bob k
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I found this number just behind the bolts for the frame extensions on my left rail. Is this the vin? It is ahead of the steering swing arm, farther forward than Charles has indicated. Is this a different number?

Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

From what I can tell, this doesn't look like the typical frame vin#. The # that is stamped into the rail is the complete and full vin# for the vehicle. The # on the glove box data plate is a portion of the complete # and denotes the sequence of manufacture. Many trucks have been registered using the sequence # from the data plate. That # is never a complete vin#.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Ok, if not a vin number, then could it be a part number for the frame rail?
I removed all the paint from the top of the rails around the steering box so that I could box the rail in, and found no numbers. Is there a posibility that the number could be stamped elsewhere?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

That is a Canadian Armed Forces registration number. They stamp their registration numbers in the left front frame rail on all their vehicles. That is the format they use 53-41547 where 53 is the contract year and the 41547 is the sequence number. Your frame must be from a M37 CDN or an US M37 shipped to Canada.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Its a Canadian model - Thanks for the info Cuz!

Is this a significant number or were all the trucks stamped with this number? Can I learn anything from this number about the trucks history?

Sorry for the thread hijack Bob... :oops:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

That number represents the Canadian version of our USA XXXXXXX hood registration number. The Canadians also painted that same number on the sides of the truck. Just like our US Registration Numbers are specific to each of our US MV's so is the CAR registration number specific to each of their vehicles.

If you go to the M37CDN registry you can see the relationship of your CFR # to truck serial numbers.
IE: 41543 91401809 is the closest one to your number.
http://www.ramtank.ca/m37list.htm
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Hope these guys have got your issue solved. The typical location is about half way between the steering gear box and the idler arm bracket.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:The typical location is about half way between the steering gear box and the idler arm bracket.
Charles, would it be stamped into the verticle face of the frame for easy access, or onto the hozontal top of the frame rail?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Master Yota wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:The typical location is about half way between the steering gear box and the idler arm bracket.
Charles, would it be stamped into the verticle face of the frame for easy access, or onto the hozontal top of the frame rail?
It's in the web of the rail, (the vertical surface), the top and bottom are the flanges.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
Master Yota wrote:
It's in the web of the rail, (the vertical surface), the top and bottom are the flanges.
That would be why I haven't found it yet, I haven't removed the paint from there.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152