Proof that Harbor Freight tools are just as good.....

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Proof that Harbor Freight tools are just as good.....

Post by Nickathome »

as other brands!

Last night, I decided it was time to fix my back yard burn barrel. It was pretty rusted out at the bottom, and since the source I had for barrels is out of business now, I decided to repair it to get a little more use out of it before I am forced to search for another. So, I proceeded to grind the bottom third of the barrel away, which was thoroughly rusted out. I then welded the bottom back on, thus making a shorter barrel, but without the rust holes on the bottom third. Well, I started using my $50 dollar "Husky" right angle grinder. This is the second one of this brand I've bought, and will be my last. At 90 psi this thing is still slow and has zero torque, and barely does the job . I put it down and then went for my $7.99 Harbor freight straight grinder. This one went through the metal like a hot knife through butter. So, bottom line I just proved that HF tools, will hold up to the big store names and for alot less cost.
Last edited by Nickathome on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

I've never had a problem with any pneumatic harbor Freight tool I've bought and that includs paint sprayers to. Just recently bought a $60.00 HF 3/4drive impact to take off the rear spring pack pivot on my Deuce, it worked just fine except for two bolts that had to be taken out with breaker/cheater bar ( HF floor jack also seen in picture )

[img][img]http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/12798/2735298480033732824S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/img]
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

3/4 in drive.

Post by Nickathome »

M-Thrax;

I recently bought that exact impact wrench. I got sick of using the breaker bar and lug wrench every time I remove the tires on my truck. So far it works fine.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

For the occassional user, some harbor freight stuff is a half decent alternative. Put it to the test in a daily work environment, you will learn rather quickly, it doesn't make the cut. I'm referring to their cheap line of stuff under their brand. Husky was also mentioned, that is another cheap line of stuff, very comparable to the Harbor Freight brand line. Harbor Freight does have some good stuff offered at times, you just have to watch the catalogs for when they offer it. We have a heavy Milwaukee side grinder we bought as a factory reconditioned unit from Harbor Freight that has hands down been the best we every owned. Also have a reconditioned Sawzall that has been great and still going strong. Believe me, it has been well proven. Even the top name brands in both hand and power tools these days aren't what they used to be. To get the best stuff these days, you will part with major bucks, not feasible for the casual user or even the professional daily user in some cases. I find myself buying better tools with the insight of having a tax write off rather than offering our $$$ to the outrageous spenders of obama and crew, but that's another story completely. We still use lots of older tools, purchased when good quality stuff could be had for a reasonable price. If you have older stuff, take care of it, today's tool quality will not match it.

Along the lines of paint guns, depends on the quality of the job outcome you desire. Also makes a huge difference in accordance with the paint you are using. The high quality finishes of today simply can't be applied successfully using a cheap, poorly atomizing gun. Cheap guns however in the hands of an experienced painter who is using older paint systems will do a half decent job if you are not seeking a really high quality finish. Paint systems of today are geared toward today's technologically advanced application equipment. Using today's best paints, trying to apply with a cheap off brand chinese gun is not a sensible option. You know, common sense applies in all areas.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

I'll restate that I have never had any problems with HF pneumatic tools and this includs paint sprayers., I have had show winning results with using cheap HF paint sprayers ( gravity feed and remote units ), but as mentioned it depends on who's doing the painting and knowing what their limits are with getting a decent paint job, some can do it with a $30.00 gun and others will need a $300.00 set up. I have shot two part epoxies, acrylic enamels,single part carc and plain ole Gillespie with my remote 2qt $75.00 sprayer from HF and had better results then what I had paid so called professionls with Binks guns to do ( which is what made me start painting my own company vehicles ). When I sold my company in 2005, I had 1/2" pneumatic ratchet wrenches that were 7+ years old that were still cranking away
Last edited by M-Thrax on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Charles, you have missed the point.....
The majority of members on this forum, like me, are weekend hobbyists and tend to tinker over a period of time with their vehicles as opposed to go full bore at it like yourself as your income depends on it. We don't have Harbour Freight here in Australia that I know of but we do have the cheaper line of gear available to us and I do have some of it and it is fine for what most folks want, I agree with your comment that if you intend to do a lot of work then investing in quality tools would be wise but if you merely want a cheap rattle gun or spray gun to achieve an outcome to a personal and not commercial level then these tools are fine. I also use a cheap spray gun, it isn't too fancy but it does the job nicely, besides, the best spray gun in the world will still do a bad job with a poor operator at the controls.
The point of the matter is a good craftsman can use a reasonable (not the best of the best) tool and still obtain good results, if you have a great tool selection then good stuff, I am indeed a little envious but not all folks on here (including me) can afford such luxuries so cheap tools it will have to be get the job done plus my tools rarely fail as care and maintainence of your tooling makes the world of difference to their longevity.

Regards - MM :-)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

We are one of the lucky ones as we have a Harbor Freight store here in town along with Northern Tool. With their sales and their 20% off coupons found in most magazines you can get some good deals at HF. I have some HF air tools that are 30 plus years old and still going. BUT its not all good at HF so look it over befor you buy. I painted my M38 with a HF self contained pain sprayer (had its own air supply) that cost $39. I was happy with the results, so was the guy that sold me the Jeep.[img][img]http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/588/1242601791033746103S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/img]
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Monkey Man wrote:Charles, you have missed the point.....
The majority of members on this forum, like me, are weekend hobbyists and tend to tinker over a period of time with their vehicles as opposed to go full bore at it like yourself as your income depends on it. We don't have Harbour Freight here in Australia that I know of but we do have the cheaper line of gear available to us and I do have some of it and it is fine for what most folks want, I agree with your comment that if you intend to do a lot of work then investing in quality tools would be wise but if you merely want a cheap rattle gun or spray gun to achieve an outcome to a personal and not commercial level then these tools are fine. I also use a cheap spray gun, it isn't too fancy but it does the job nicely, besides, the best spray gun in the world will still do a bad job with a poor operator at the controls.
The point of the matter is a good craftsman can use a reasonable (not the best of the best) tool and still obtain good results, if you have a great tool selection then good stuff, I am indeed a little envious but not all folks on here (including me) can afford such luxuries so cheap tools it will have to be get the job done plus my tools rarely fail as care and maintainence of your tooling makes the world of difference to their longevity.

Regards - MM :-)
Where did I miss the point Tony?

The first line in my post made reference to the occassional user. That is the very market that Harbor Freight targets most; reasonably so as I'm sure they know their tool lines would pale in comparison when placed into a day in, day out, heavy use work environment. Personally I'm glad Harbor Freight exist for the benefit of the folks for whom it works well. I'm glad for the folks who enjoy using it, and understand completely that some might have to get by with even less if it were not for marketing enterprises like Harbor Freight and a few others. We get their flyers frequently, and I too keep an eye out for stuff they offer from time to time that works for us.

If I didn't know better, this discussion would almost lead me to believe some are comparing Harbor Freight quality to the infamous Snap-On and Mac tool brands.

Once again, I'm seeing where this is headed if I don't just bow out of the discussion. Is it always wrong if I share from a different view point? That being said, I'll leave this one with you as it is not my desire to proceed further into what I know will follow. My opinions I share here on everything are simply based on real world experience, probably just like most other opinions shared here on various subjects. The way it pertains to me is in a different light because we are a full time truck builder rather than the occassional tool user. In this discussion, that is what makes me have to view the quality of tools from a different prospective. I don't disagree with anyone on the subject of tools if you have stuff that is working for you, and I really don't see why anyone would disagree with me if I say the same stuff will not work well here at M Series for us. I may have a different opinion on the subject as it pertains to me, but after all, we are doing 2 totally different things on totally different scales, one should expect it to be different I would think.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

Tony if you'd like a Harbor freight tool flyer let me know and I'll send one your way., I'm sure they will ship down under of course then there are the import duties $$
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=90320

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92099

Got this tool box set on sale ($200 off the reg price) and another 20% off that. It is as good as any Mac or Snap On for a fifth the price.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Gentlemen,
It seems this topic comes up about once a year. I have been wrenching since I was about 12. I was fortunate that my father gave me his SK , Williams, and vinatge Craftsman hand me downs so I knew the value of a good hand tool early on. When I was 18 I was buying Snap-on and MATCO while employed at my first tractor shop. I still use those same ratchets and wrenches today. None have ever failed. I still have the Williams "S-52 Super ratchet" my dad gave me 34 years ago.
That being said my opinion is that some Harbor Freight items are fine for the ocassional user. My cherry picker, engine stand, air hammer, and electric $14.99 angle grinder are HF. The angle grinder I have beat the crap out of during my M37 restoration and it still runs.
I will however never purchase any HF hand tools such as sockets, ratchets, box wrenches, breaker bars ect. There is a big difference is steel quality. I would not want a "Mr. Chen" brand wrench when the safety of my knuckles are at risk. (Mr. Chen is a fictional character I do at work when refering to Chinese imports, not politically correct LOL). The US name brand wrenches are checked for porrosities as well as steel quality before leaving the factory. I doubt the HF wrenches are x-rayed in their QC department.
Nowadays though you really have to be careful even with the US made stuff, I ordered in a Milwaukee cut off saw for a customer a few weeks back and guess what? "Made in Taiwan...". You dont see that much nowadays. This was surprising as it was not made in Commie mainland China? It reminded me of the Mexican landscaper I ran into at NAPA in the spring remarking that "Nothing was made in Mexico anymore" :lol: when he was handed his Chinese ignition switch. Vise Grip has moved onto China as well. Many of the name brand bearing companies I deal with now have plants in China.
Of course Nostradamus predicted the yelow man will control 2/3rds of the earth near the end times. Then again, much of what he and the Bible states is coming to pass, but hey, what does it matter, everbody is too busy watching Oprah :evil:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I would have to agree with the statement from Charles: For the occassional user, some harbor freight stuff is a half decent alternative.

I have been doing my own wrenching and bodywork for the last 29 years and learned quickly which tools you could depend on. With that being said I will always try to buy an American made tool over a NON American made anyday (this is a choice to be made by the user).
I cringe everytime I hear someone mention shopping at Wally world and other places like it and then wonder why their job was eliminated. I think Sam Walton started out with a good idea but the company has since changed for the worse and I refuse to shop at those types of places if they don't offer an American made alternative.
Please don't read into this, that I'm saying you are Un-American. I just try to remain cognizant of were the buck stops.
I know this statement will ruffle allot of feathers but its my two cents.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

T. Highway wrote: I think Sam Walton started out with a good idea but the company has since changed for the worse...
I certainly agree with that idea. I can remember the early Wal*Mart commercials on TV which touted the fact that their merchandise was "made by Americans for Americans." During my last visit to ther local Super Wal*Mart, I didn't see anything that was "Made in USA" once I got out of the grocery department. :(
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

I have some wrenches that say "Craftsman" on one side and "Made in Japan" on the other. So much for Craftsman tools all being made in USA.