More on the oil gage problem

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

tstephenson
PVT
PVT

EPA

Post by tstephenson »

Next thing you know they will be recalling our trucks and homeland security shaking us down for radio active gages. Now I am scared sh---less of my old truck. No telling what is in there. ha Har Ha, Ho HO HO
No kidding that must be a hell of a machine capable of telling on these old gages. I was in Washington a few years ago taking a guided look see at the whitehouse and a guy I was with had had radiation therapy a few weeks prior.. All of a sudden two guys in black took us into another room and shook us down. When we were cleared we had a good laugh, but not the guys in Black, they never cracked a smile.

Tim
Tim
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Copper tube

Post by Nickathome »

Dicktater wrote:
Lifer wrote:I'm no expert on M37s, Nick, but I can tell you that capillary tube oil pressure guages were around a long time before electric ones. As mentioned already, they tend to be more accurate because the oil pressure isn't "converted" to an electrical current before getting to the guage. On the "down" side, if the tube should happen to spring a leak, you'll have oil all over the place in no time unless you notice it right away. This can be particularly nasty if it happens under the dash and gets all over your shoes and trouser legs. (Probably why they invented the electric ones, ya think?)
I'll add this, if it breaks under the dash and oils your boots thats a good thing,at least you will notice the leak,if it breaks or melts under the hood you will pump out all the oil in a place that you won't notice right away and that is a very bad thing. Had this happen,get rid of that nylon tubing and replace with copper (cheap fix) or risk "lack of oil" engine failure.
Lifer;

Where could I get such thin copper tubing? I mean this tubin gcan't be more than 1/16th in. in diameter.
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

Junk yard

Post by tstephenson »

I thiink before I went to the trouble to get the copper tube I would get a new gage complete with sheilded tube. I woujld think a old truck grave yard would have some. Not much that could go wrong with them I do not think. I have seen some with copper tub surounded with a steel wrap around deal. some one is surely making new ones with tough shielded tubes. Not much help
Tim
Tim
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Nick, I think it's 1/8 th inch,Go to PEP Boys or Advance Auto or Napa ask for a gauge kit it will come with everything you need ferrels (spelling) and copper tubing,and new fittings.Maybe about $10 bucks.You can take the fitting off at the engine (easy to get to ) and take it with you so you get the right size.It's a one size fits all though I think,very common item at any parts store.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Gauge kit

Post by Nickathome »

Dicktater,

Thanks I'll look into it. Got a slight timing issue to work on next, then will look into the gauge situation. Have plans to do this during Xmas vacation. The one thin gthat my company does right is give us off the week in between Xmas and New Years. Last year I used that time off to get all my brake work done.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

In reference to the first post the orignal oil gauge for the m-37 is supposed to be the 120# gauge, you can change it to the 60# range gauge but be aware that each range gauge has a matching sending unit and if you mix them up you will still have an incorrect reading.