Steel Soldiers

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greencom
SGT
SGT

Steel Soldiers

Post by greencom »

I just joined steel soldiers to broaden my military vehicle world, I found it very hard to use and very restricted. Just to do a search you have to go through the BS of a squiggly image verification, very tedious. g741 is so much more user friendly!

Greencom
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I've been a member of both forums for several years, now. While I agree that g741 is more user friendly, Steel Soldiers isn't really all that bad. The main reason it's a little harder to use is because of all the different categories available.

Posting pictures to SS is as easy as it used to be on this forum.

(In case you never looked at the bottom of the page, both forums are powered by phpBB software...just different versions.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Lifer wrote:(In case you never looked at the bottom of the page, both forums are powered by phpBB software...just different versions.)
Ummm...I take that back. :oops: They did change software when they did their last upgrade. Anyway, I don't find it hard to use...just a little more clicking to get to what you want to see. Our forum is probably easier to use because it's dedicated to a single vehicle and its variants. SS covers everything on wheels or tracks.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

SS

Post by Nickathome »

I gave up trying to register on that site....Every time I tried I got some BS message that I didn't have authority to access or something of that nature. I go there just to get info or read about people's adventures finding trucks, etc. I like this site much better.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I agree that this site is MUCH better for all things M37 related. :D

Steel Soldiers, while covering everything MV-wise, is definately biased in favor of the deuce, as any visit to the "Conversations" category will quickly reveal.

The two things I do really like about SS that we don't have is the chat room option and the ability to post pics directly from our own computers (like we used to have here)..
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I don't care for the Steel Soldiers' site either, nor the MVPA Member's site.
SS seems too cluttered and some of the posts I've seen go far off the intended tracks; while the MVPA site doesn't get enough traffic to be viable-for me anyway. I've always enjoyed the camraderie here, and everyone's willingness to help with guidance, parts and the daily give and take.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

We are a smaller family here so there's more attention paid to individual needs. Larger sites have their place but you do tend to get lost in a sea of competing posts.

When I go there after missing a day or two and there are 2500 unread posts, there is no way I am going to read all of that. Even looking at the subject lines is not easy. So I just go to the forums I am interested in and leave it at that.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

SS doesn't have much activity on the M37 forum and that's what intrests me, not the 2 1/2 and 5 ton comments which seem to be the bulk of what gets posted. I echo the above posted comments about the small but dedicated, very helpful group of posters here on G741, like the old song title- We Are Family. This IS the best site for our beloved M Series Dodges and I for one think it's time to start a forum donation fund to help Robi pay for what we all think is a great site. I have donated before but it's now time to do it again, you gotta pay to play. I know money is tite but how would we feel if this site went away? Hey Tony, have any ideas how we can set up a donation link or some other way to help out?
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I get along fine on Steel Soldiers. On the opening page I scan through all the recent posts.
And then go to the forums and the catorgory that interests me. Of course I play with the big stuff so it is an excellant resource.

But this forum is the best for the M37 and is basically where I hang out first and foremost.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Both Are Good

Post by m-37Bruce »

For one reason or another, I've been a member there since 07, been a member here since 99/2000, can't remember which it was? Back then, big electric was quite a big deal, Eric dropped off the face of the militay vehicle map, lucky for us Robie was already a member and wanted to float it a while. I like it here, a lot. :)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

No question - we take Robie for granted. I could not have resto'd my truck without this site and its collective members. Keith
russcal
PFC
PFC

Post by russcal »

Heya, y'all!

When I was first looking at buying a MV, either a M151 or M37, I prowled Steel Soldiers a lot... learned lot of good stuff there. Learned that the M37 series is THE vehicle to get started on in the MV world. After I got my XM152, I found this site and spend most of my time here. The things I've learned here are INVALUABLE! Through contacts here I've managed to score some rare / hard-to-find parts for my rig. I've posted on SS and not gotten any responses, post here and you'll get a informative response in no time.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

XM152
Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes