The saga continues! Now brakes

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

The saga continues! Now brakes

Post by Wayne64 »

Now that the engine is running sweet and the steering column is squared away I went to drive the truck today. I had a plumbing job to do at my daughters place which is only about 5 miles away. I start down the first road on my short trip and when I went to brake for a stop sign the stop pedal went crazy. The truck stopped but the pedal was pulsating wildly. Made me thought my leg went into spasm as has happened to me in the past. I brought it right back and moved the tools to the Ranchero and went and did the job. This afternoon I checked the master and the fluid was full. This truck had the steel lines redone before I got it and figured the brakes were OK. I slide underneath and I believe I saw some wet stuff on the inside of the front wheel. When sitting in the driveway the pedal is hard and doesn't sink with sustained pressure. Any thoughts folks?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: The saga continues! Now brakes

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Wayne64 wrote:Now that the engine is running sweet and the steering column is squared away I went to drive the truck today. I had a plumbing job to do at my daughters place which is only about 5 miles away. I start down the first road on my short trip and when I went to brake for a stop sign the stop pedal went crazy. The truck stopped but the pedal was pulsating wildly. Made me thought my leg went into spasm as has happened to me in the past. I brought it right back and moved the tools to the Ranchero and went and did the job. This afternoon I checked the master and the fluid was full. This truck had the steel lines redone before I got it and figured the brakes were OK. I slide underneath and I believe I saw some wet stuff on the inside of the front wheel. When sitting in the driveway the pedal is hard and doesn't sink with sustained pressure. Any thoughts folks?
What you leave untouched will always come back to bite.

Not sure what you mean by pulsating, if you mean the pedal is being pushed back out at you when you apply brakes; you have a warped or out of round drum or a drum loose & wobbling on the hub. The leak is however another issue to be looked at.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Charles, I'll jack up the wheel soon and see if the bearings feel OK. But it was stopping fine for the 100 or so miles I put on it. Seeing the wetness I was thinking maybe a fluid soaked shoe or even a broken return spring.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Brakes

Post by Nickathome »

Sounds like a wheel cylinder has gone south if you are seeing wetness. Although as in my case I have leaky knuckle seals, but that could explain the wetness on yours too.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

The slight wetness was on the right side, so I jacked that side first and the wheel spun OK. Added the second jack to the drivers side and you could hear noise when you spun the tire back and forth. My first wheel and drum pull which was a bear for this cripple but I've found the trouble. Both linings had separated from the shoes? These linings were bonded?? Even hough the shoes look like they had holes for rivets. What do I do now? Please point me in the right direction as I live month to month on my VA check. I realize now that all 4 sides will get done along with new wheel cylinders since I have no history. TIA
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Brakes

Post by jbxx »

Maybe you could find someone who has done a disc brake conversion
who would be willing to donate some shoes?
Just a thought.
J.B.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Wayne64 wrote:The slight wetness was on the right side, so I jacked that side first and the wheel spun OK. Added the second jack to the drivers side and you could hear noise when you spun the tire back and forth. My first wheel and drum pull which was a bear for this cripple but I've found the trouble. Both linings had separated from the shoes? These linings were bonded?? Even hough the shoes look like they had holes for rivets. What do I do now? Please point me in the right direction as I live month to month on my VA check. I realize now that all 4 sides will get done along with new wheel cylinders since I have no history. TIA
We have lots of used brake shoes with great lining still left. Give me a call or e-mail if interested.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com