Brake drum removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Brake drum removal

Post by hairpin151 »

Anyone here have any suggestions on removing those three stubborn countersunk slot head bolts to get the drum off??

Thanks!
hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Post by hairpin151 »

Figured it out.Ball pean and a small punch did the trick.
chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

hairpin151 wrote:Figured it out.Ball pean and a small punch did the trick.
Yep, that's the way I do it. Just did all four corners, no problem.
hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Post by hairpin151 »

I just did a quikie one corner brake cylinder fix,I hope.When I pulled the drum off I was pleasantly supprised to find the drum and shoes in great shape just a leaking wheel cylinder.One of the cups was smaller than the other,kinda wierd.I need to do all the rest ,but another day.I bought an M35A2 and the M37 has been neglected recently.
GregL
PFC
PFC

Post by GregL »

Boy you got lucky with your brake drum screws. I just spent two whole days trying to remove my two front drums for the first time. First I tried a screwdriver, then I tried a punch, then I tried a punch on the screwdriver. Then I went to NAPA and asked for their best penetrant, and proceeded to whack the hell out of them with my impact ratchet, and after several hours of alternating penetrant and hitting with the impact ratchet, I finally got all six of them off. Then I noticed that some knucklehead had put high temp locktite on them! Well, at least they're off now. Whew.
Greg Loskorn
1952 M37
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Heat is your friend!
Heat and a drag link socket in an impact gun, on the floor after you have pulled the hub and drum as a unit. Pulled scores of them that way and have never spent more than 5 minutes on the really stubborn ones. The whole key is to pull the hub and drum as a unit, then you can put your pressure down instead of laterally. The trouble with the punch method is you really beaver up the screw, but the TM says to do it that way. The Military probably replaced them each time, but I have pulled some really ratty looking ones.
Tim
Glad you got them off.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

hairpin151 wrote:One of the cups was smaller than the other,kinda wierd.
Remember that the rear piston on each cylinder is larger than the front piston.....

:)
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
hairpin151
PFC
PFC

Post by hairpin151 »

I saw that and put them back in respectivly but the cup size difference,I dont get that one.The larger one was marked with the size as were my replacements but the smaller one,dont know.Size difference would be like comparing a nickel to a quarter.
TRACTORg25
PVT
PVT

Post by TRACTORg25 »

I use a hand inpact screw driver and three lb drilling hammer. Always use antiseize when reinstalling the screws. make next removal easy.
m15256
CPL
CPL

brake drum screws

Post by m15256 »

Pulled my rear brake drums and found that someone had your problem in the past. They burned the head off one of the screws with a torch. Made the counter sink in the drum kind of ugly. Imagine the first time you practiced with a cutting torch and you get the idea. Good thing the nuts also hold the drum on.
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
powool
PVT
PVT

Post by powool »

I tried a bunch of things to remove these darn bolts, then gave up and drilled them out. I was able to do it without messing with the countersink too much. I replaced them the hex drive counter sunk bolts from the hardware store.
Paul Anderson