1952 M-37 missing plug

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Linda

1952 M-37 missing plug

Post by Linda »

I'm new to this and not very mechanical so be patient. Under the truck there's a plug missing and I thought it was on the clutch housing. The mechanic that worked on it thinks it is the flywheel cover plug. It is 1 inch diameter opening and appears to have gears inside it. I can't find a replacement plug at auto parts stores. Any ideas? Thanks.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Linda,
That hole is supposed to be open, unless you are fording a river. There is a plug for it, but under normal operating conditions it is left out. Both you and your mechanic are right, the clutch and the flywheel share the same space in there. The gear you saw was the teeth of the flywheel.
Hope this helps,
Tim
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Welcome to the "club," Linda. You've come to the right place to get answers to your questions. There's lots of experience to be found here.

Oh, yeah! We all like a girl who doesn't mind getting grease under her fingernails. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
NCmountainman
PFC
PFC

Post by NCmountainman »

:lol: Welcome Linda, and it is good to see you asking questions. You will almost always find answers and a lot of good information here. A great bunch of people!
Ed Bennett
MVPA #31853
1951 Dodge M37 G741
1983 Jeep CJ5
1942 Chev G506 (SOLD)
Nothing is Fool Proof to a suffeciently talented fool.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome to you Linda! Keep the questions coming-we're happy to respond. Can you tell us a bit more info about your truck? Year, model, with or w/o winch, etc?
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Linda

Thanks for help with M-37

Post by Linda »

Thanks for all the help with missing plug. It's a 1952 M-37 truck last used by a rural fire dept in Oregon. Has the 6 cylinder engine with 24 volt electrical . Has no winch but appears to have the ability for one to be installed. New tires, canvas top and seats. Got it from the fellow who restored it in hopes of using it as a work truck on a ranch we are moving to. But now realize I need a newer truck that has power steering, brakes, etc. I love it, but wears me out trying to use it on steep, wooded terrain. And I can't afford to keep it just for fun. I have it listed for sale or trade on this site. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry to hear of this, Linda, but we all understand your issues with the "Armstrong" steering! You might post the truck on E-Bay with a reserve; there are also swap meets thoughout your region where you could make a sale there as well. Good luck!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Linda,
Your other option is to install power steering on it. There are several companys who make kits for this, it is a pretty straight forward conversion, and you can spin the wheels with one finger!
Tim
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Tim, can you tell me which companies offer the power steering kits as I am looking for one at the moment.

Thanks

Stu
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Stu,
Tom at Snake River 4x4 has a kit, and I believe Ray Suiter at Helitool has one. Tom would probably be the best bet.
Tim