Vacuum wipers,

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Vacuum wipers,

Post by Wayne64 »

A while ago I posted about a loss of vacuum up at the motors. I had a chance today and did some testing with compressed air. The blockage is in the tube that passes through the windshield hinge. I have the CD manuals and couldn't get either a clear photo or a description on taking the fittings apart. Could someone explain the parts involved and the disassembly of the tube and fittings. TIA
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Wayne,
THe fitting on my 51 iwas a brass block with steel lines. The lines were shot, but I soldered in some 1/4" copper tubing I had. My parts truck had a steel block with steel lines. Also frozen into the pivot bolt. There is no mechanical connection, it just slides into the pivot bolt and I suppose the vacuum line inside helps keep it in place. There are a couple of little clips on the windshield hinge, but thats about it. I would pull it out and try soldering new tubes onto it.
Tim
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Thanks Tim, Here I was over thinking how it worked. I figured the windshield bracket had some kind of gland nut or O-ring. The next sunny day I'll pull it out and check it out.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Replacement windshield bolts are becoming hard to find-try repairing yours if you can.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

AB Linn

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Tim, Wayne & Gary,
He had them a while back, If he's out I might have a spare somewhere? :idea:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

UPDATE!!!

Post by Wayne64 »

Mystery solved. Today was the day I removed the vacuum lines that travel through the windshield hinge. Now under stand I'm just a bit more than disabled and the plate in my neck makes it tough to get under the dash. I try to pull off the vacuum hose from under the dash by feel only, the hose wouldn't even twist with a plier? I had already bought 25' of new 7/32 vacuum hose and again by feel sliced the hose length wise so I could remove it. When I finally got the metal tube assembly removed I saw two things. The tube that traveled through the hinge bolt was copper, OK but it was 3/16" OD instead of 1/4" OD. So the Duck Egg that did the restore put a load of rubber cement on the copper tube and pushed on the hose. I found a perfect plug of rubber cement inside the 3/16" copper tube not to mention the copper tube wasn't even reamed after being cut. I'll check my stock to see if I have some 1/4" OD S.S. tube for a redo. Thanks Gents
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Wayne,
Congrats on getting it fixed! Some of the things we find working on these trucks really make you shake your head in disbelief.
Tim
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Wayne - working under the dash requires a small teenager who can bend and take the knocks to the head.... I ended up drilling out the steel tube that was rusted into the w/s bolt hole and started over. We switched over to the 24v and passed 2 wires thru the hole and up into the w/s since my son was going to be driving it. I plan on getting my trico's rebuilt and buying the tubing/fitting kit from John at MWM. The 24v wipers are not up to par as Charles has previously posted - but they work in a pinch.