Drivability question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Drivability question

Post by Wayne64 »

Now that the M37 is road worthy I've been doing some short drives to test road worthiness. I have rebuilt the Carb, drained the gas tank and changed out the electric fuel pump to something with less PSI. New points , cond, rotor , cap and the plugs got re-gapped and cleaned. Timing set to 4* BTDC and I'm carrying 18" vacuum at idle. I give it a blip and I get a hesitation before the speed picks up. Some of my short runs the truck may stall, other times no stalling? Any ideas as I really want to haul around a bunch of 80+ year old WWII vets in the Memorial Day parade with the M37. BTW I have lock out hubs and I tested the low range and loved how it creeped along in 1st.
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

There is a lot to be said for your research. I ahve had a similar deal with mine at first. I changed out my new points and such for an electronic ignition kit. That helped a little. Then I went through the carb a second time and once again a tiny bit better. Now if I drive it for 10 plus min it does a lot better. Once mine gets good and warm it seems to be acceptable. I will say that the plugs dont seem to last for ever just a few years of little driveing and that is it. One thing that you might want to look into is the coil. If they dont get a chance to vent they get weak and fast. I hoped I was of some help.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

mattveeder wrote:There is a lot to be said for your research. I ahve had a similar deal with mine at first. I changed out my new points and such for an electronic ignition kit. That helped a little. Then I went through the carb a second time and once again a tiny bit better. Now if I drive it for 10 plus min it does a lot better. Once mine gets good and warm it seems to be acceptable. I will say that the plugs dont seem to last for ever just a few years of little driveing and that is it. One thing that you might want to look into is the coil. If they dont get a chance to vent they get weak and fast. I hoped I was of some help.
All help or ideas are good :)
My venting of the dizzy is correct and I haven't run the truck over 35* ambient so I'm guessing it's not the coil over heating? What has me a bit confused (even though I understand the theory) is why the accelerator pump shot is a vacuum function instead of a mechanical linkage. I hate to spend the $$$ but maybe a new crank pulley with degrees I can see clearly or when it warms up use the #6 TDC plug and start from scratch, then figure out what the distributors curve should be?