What Tow Dolly works?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

What Tow Dolly works?

Post by topellis »

I haven't been on the forum much lately and know this subject has been covered many times but I will need to move my M37 without a trailer and wondered if there were any rental company dollies that the front wheels go on and the rear wheels roll on the ground that will work. From what I remember from previous conversation there is some concern with it being wide enough for the front wheels to go on. I would consider a flat tow with a military tow bar but would imagine it would be both a challenge to find one for sale and also a little pricey if I did find one. Also heard concerns of the steering not recentering after making a sharp turn with a flat tow.

Would appreciate any advice on what dolly will work.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I had a tow bar made many years ago at a local welding and fabrication shop when I had a bunch of M37s to move and have had no trouble flat towing them since I started using it. To keep the steering wheel centered I use a heavy black rubber bungi cord looped around the bottom of the wheel and attached securely to the drivers seat frame and the front wheels always returned to center after a turn. Back then I never was able to locate a dolly that was the right size to move the trucks safely but I am sure all that has changed in the past 20 yrs. Good luck on the move.

Webshots tow bar: http://news.webshots.com/photo/12477147 ... vhost=news

http://news.webshots.com/photo/28945831 ... vhost=news
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

I have a 20' gooseneck flat trailer rated 12500# that we tow ours on, just be sure if you use a dolly or towbar the tow vehicle is heavy enough to stop the m37 without being pushed, do not use an s10 or explorer size truck, I would even be leary of using a 1/2 ton truck it may pull but stopping is the problem :D
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
Jeff in north Texas
PVT
PVT

Post by Jeff in north Texas »

This has been discussed many times on the Power Wagon forum. Do not try to use one of those rental 2-wheel tow dollies. They are usually not wide enough, and if they are, they are not made to handle the weight of an M37. Improper use of one of these dollies is asking for disaster, and a huge liability lawsuit waiting to happen, should you hurt someone else.
Some rental places make you state in writting what you are towing on it. If you lie, and something bad happens, you are wide open for liability claims.
Get a proper capacity trailer and do it correctly.
Jeff
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I agree with Jeff. This is a somewhat embarrasing story to tell but I'll share it now in order to spare someone else the agony of the possible disaster that nearly befell me.

In my haste and excitement to get my new-found M37 home some years back, I tried to save some cash by using a two wheel dolly. To make a long story short, in attempting to load the M on the dolly I ended up dragging the vehicle up and over the top of the dolly because the M didn't run, and it didn't stop at the wheel stops in the front of the dolly-went right over them.

You can just imagine my buddy and I completely disassembling the dolly because it's axle was directly in between my front and rear M differentials, with no way to lift either the front or rear of the M back over the dolly, so disassembly of the dolly was exactly what we had to do.

Lesson learned, and a blessing in disguise: Nobody got hurt; I learned of the sheer weight and bulk of the M, and didn't mess around further-hired a professional to deliver it and that only cost me an additional $35 over the price of the dolly rental.
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Thanks for the advice.... I could have sworn that I had seen where others had used the two wheel dolly and didn't have a problem with it. Glad I asked. That being said, are there any rental trailers that would work without being over loaded? The kind rented from u-haul from what I understand is just not made to handle that weight either. The tow vehicle is a Diesel Excursion so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for any feedback,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

Post by Kurt Hirte »

Hey Mark, good to see you back. How far are you going w/ it? I have had really good luck using my AAA tow service to move trucks around. I have one of their premium package deals. I think it runs me $175 to $180 a year and I get 2 tows up to 200 miles a year plus a bunch more shorter hauls included. I just request a rollback wrecker when I call it in and follow the guy to my location of choice. I always keep a current lic plate w/ me in case they say it has to be a registered vehicle but I have never had to use it yet. Usually the driver is interested in talking about the truck and he gets paid by AAA so he's happy. As cheeap as renting something and you have AAA the rest of the year. Kurt
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Kurt,
That's creative... I will have to remember that one... :)
but I just got off the phone with an old buddy I have in Ga and he is going to lend me his trailer... so problem solved. I have used his before so I know it will work and it will only cost me a kit to rewire and replace the lights on it. I consider that a steal so I will take him up on his offer. I also have the towing service on my insurance but the distance is a little excessive. (750miles) the one time I used it they would only tow to the nearest repair facility.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

Post by Kurt Hirte »

Sounds good. I don't know if they have an Ultra Premium Package to tow up to 700 to 800 miles any way :D Good luck. Kurt
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

THE LAST TIME i TRIED TO RENT A DOLLY from uhaul I was gonna tow a 1986 full size ford bronco and their book said it was too heavy for the dolly so I couldn't get it and the m37 is alot heavier, just fyi :D
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Sadly, pretty much all the rental tow dollies are designed for hauling Asian-built pieces of tin behind something just a little bit bigger. My son-in-law looked into getting one to haul my (now his) '55 Pontiac from IL to GA. He couldn't find one anywhere. They all said it was too heavy for their equipment. He asked about a 2-axle trailer and got the same answer. I guess if it's not made on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, you can't tow it. Not with rental equipment, anyway. :(
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"