Need orig fuel filter help

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

GregL
PFC
PFC

Need orig fuel filter help

Post by GregL »

OK, I was so excited to get my NOS original fuel filter to replace the cheesy $5 inline filter that someone had put in my truck. The original metal fuel lines and fittings are still there, so hooking up the NOS filter was easy. But I've tried it twice on two different occasions and just can't seem to get it to work. The engine stalls after a very short while with the orig filter. When I put the cheesy inline filter back in, and after cranking the engine a while to get fuel back in the carb, everything is fine. Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? There doesn't seem to be any blockage in the lines, I can blow air through the NOS filter just fine, but when I disassembled it after the first attempt, it was dry inside. Do I have to 'prime' it somehow? It's such a simple system, but I can't figure out why it won't work!
Greg Loskorn
1952 M37
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Who ever tossed the original did you a favor. Don't know what kind of in line filter you had, really doesn't matter. Good quiality in line filters with metal housings are available from NAPA, Baldwin & others, just stay away from Wal-Mart Fram junk & the like. A premium quality in line filter is better than the original you have acquired. There was a reason why they stopped using the original type that you now have & went to the in tank filter. Change in the military comes hard once a design is set, when you do see it happen as with this change to the in tank filter, you better believe the original caused much grief.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
GERALDO
PFC
PFC

Post by GERALDO »

Check and make sure you have the fuel lines in the right holes, two of the holes are for the primer pump lines, I think they are the top two holes on top , I THINK THE LOWER ONES ARE FOR THE FUEL LINES., I got my fuel filter from Pete DeBELLA AT ABERDEEN A FEW YEARS AGO, NO PROBLEMS !
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

I've used my original fuel filter for 15 years with no problems. I think is much easier to clean it mounted on the regulator bracket then to pull the filter out of the tank. The in and out ports are on the passenger side, drivers side are for the manual primer.
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I just picked up a regulator bracket with one of these old type filter assemblies on it. I like to have original type stuff on my cars and trucks, even if I modify them on the inside to fix any "flaws" in the original design. I will still probably put an inline filter somewhere underneath.

I may fix it so this is just a "pass through" for the fuel and not actually a filter.

I know where there is an original firewall mounted RF filter, which I am going to get too.

We'll see. I'm still working all that out.
:D
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

The filter really should be on the pressure side not the suction side underneath.
Just my .02 Happy New Year!
GregL
PFC
PFC

Post by GregL »

OK, got it working today with the help of John at Midwest Mil.

I had a seal issue, the system was sucking air in mainly around the bowl gasket, but also around a fitting. The bowl gasket nut needs to be really tight to prevent air getting in. Once I tightened these things up (a lot!) it works great now. Thanks John!
Greg Loskorn
1952 M37
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

Just a note: the fuel filter was moved into the tank after serial #80027049 and the firewall mounted noise filter was moved into the dist. after ser. #80042293
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710