newbe question, differentials

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

newbe question, differentials

Post by Wayne64 »

I haven't had the bucks yet to buy the other two TMs I need for my M37B1. But would like to know what are the differentials called? I think I read they were 9-5/8" and think I saw something mentioning Dana 60. Please what are these 3rd members called in non-military terms. Thanks Much
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: newbe question, differentials

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Wayne64 wrote:I haven't had the bucks yet to buy the other two TMs I need for my M37B1. But would like to know what are the differentials called? I think I read they were 9-5/8" and think I saw something mentioning Dana 60. Please what are these 3rd members called in non-military terms. Thanks Much
They are differentials, not the Dana brand, but built by DODGE.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

These are the real deal from when dodge and the others in detroit made their own. There are arb air lockers and powertrax units made for these. The only other gear you can go with is a 4.89. As far as hardned inner axles vintage powerwagons offers them.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

mattveeder wrote:These are the real deal from when dodge and the others in detroit made their own. There are arb air lockers and powertrax units made for these. The only other gear you can go with is a 4.89. As far as hardned inner axles vintage powerwagons offers them.
I may have asked the question wrong, but your answers have got me on the right road. I know the early Ford 9" which was an in house unit. So what name (or size) does the Dodge Diff go by?
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

I've always called axles made by the same company as the vehicle "corporate axles". I guess you could call these Dodge corporate 9 5/8, or maybe a Dodge 9 5/8. I don't know of a particular name for these axles but they should have one even if we have to make one up!
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!