regulator ?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ausb1
PFC
PFC

regulator ?

Post by ausb1 »

where can i get a mechanical regulator ? i ruined my solid state when i connected the battery leads wrong years ago .is the mechanical regulator a better proposition ? i dont like the idea of solid state regulators, jmo, if you are out in the middle of now where and the thing dies, your up that creek
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

I expect any number of the mv vendors will have a mech. type regulator or ck. on ebay. However if you change from the (flat looking) solid state type to the (taller) mech. type, I think you will have to change the regulator to dash harness and switch the volt(batt-gen) gauge for a amp gauge.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I hope someone else jumps in here, but I do not think you will have to replace anything. When the army went from mechanical regulator to the soldid state one it was just a matter of unbolting one and putting in the other. Now if you change from a generator/regulator to the altinator then you have to make some changes in the wiring etc.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: regulator ?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

ausb1 wrote:where can i get a mechanical regulator ? i ruined my solid state when i connected the battery leads wrong years ago .is the mechanical regulator a better proposition ? i dont like the idea of solid state regulators, jmo, if you are out in the middle of now where and the thing dies, your up that creek
First of all, wiring or gauge changes are not necessary to change types of regulators. Both mechanical & solid-state units are simple plug & play hook ups with the original wiring harness.

However you are not making a smart decision to move away from the solid-state type. They are much better, longer lasting, & far less
troublesome as compared to the early style. There were solid reasons why the military changed over to the solid-state type. If your mind is made up on making the change, I have many of the early style take-off regulators. $50 plus shipping is the cost, as with any take-off electrical component, they are sold as is- where is. These were good functioning units when removed from vehicles, most came from trucks that got Cummins repower engines. Be happy to send you one if you decide to change.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com