Maiden voyage yesterday!

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Maiden voyage yesterday!

Post by Cal_Gary »

Please excuse my rambling, but after 4 and a half years I finally made the initial run up to the nearest gas station-a 3 mile round trip. Doesn't sound like much but after all the blood sweat and tears it was like taking a world tour! :D

Assessment:
Idles good, but doesn't handle hills under load too well;
Noisy (and I knew it would be) but sounded like an old war horse should;
Oil pressure and temperature gauges show good PSI and about 170 degrees for the coolant;
Shifts OK and I hit all 4 gears with no unusual chatter;
Hard starting at the gas station after fill up-seems to be running rich;
Several smiles and waves like I just arrived off the 38th Parallel-priceless! :wink:

Questions:
Timing appears to be off. When I attempted to set it, I don't get consistent fire from the #1 plug wire. When I move the pick-up probe to other wires, it lights just fine. The cap, rotor, plugs and wires are all new, along with the coil, and the engine isn't "missing". The timing light is also new. Any idea what might cause this? :shock:

Fuel mixture seems rich-I suspect I can lean it out once I have the timing set at 4 degrees before TDC. Anything else I might need to look at before I stretch it on a longer trip? :?:

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

I don’t know the answer to your question but congrats I finally started mine last night and i cant tell you how happy that makes me so you must be very happy
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

CONGRATULATIONS :D That really must have been a great feeling. I am in the homestretch and cannot wait until I take my maiden voyage.

Sounds like you have just a little "tweeking" to do.

As for you misfire on #1, did you try putting an old wire back on number 1 or swapping it with another? That would isolate whether it is the plug wire or the fire out of the distribtuor.

Again, congratulations on a fun first trip :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks guys-don't give up! I know, daunting project at times, but worth the payoff! David, I'll try the wire swap to see-good idea!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Woot! Congrats to you!!

Keep tweaking on her, she'll settle in.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

Do you get a good crisp 1/4"+ spark on the #1 if you pull the wire
at the plug to ground? It's better than coffee if you get in between.
Cograts on the first run, it's a hell of a feeling.
J.B.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks John and JBXX, yep, I got zapped real good when I pulled the #1 plug wire to conduct that exact test! I'll follow up later in the week-with daylight savings ending it is already dark when I get home so I'm limited to weekend M duty. At least I still have 60 degree days working outside to deal with, being in CA.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Gary - congrats and now the real fun of shake-down begins! We are full blown winter now here in the D. Temps in the 20/30's and 4 inch of snow. Seems like its dark and cold all the time now!! Lights + Propane are in order. Keep us posted - Keith
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Maiden voyage

Post by Nickathome »

Congratulations. Its a good feeling to know that you can do something with the truck other than just work on it. I know it felt good to finally be able to drive it.

I remember my first "legal" drive on a real road. Felt like the whole world was watching, even though really maybe one guy took notice. My first trip was to our local Mickey D's for lunch. I was a nervous wreck. kept worrying that the thing was gonna die and leave me stranded, but it didn't.

Take notice of how many people DON"T pay you any mind. I had a false notion that the minute I hit the road that everybody would do a double take and wave, etc. Didn't happen. You won't believe how many people are oblivious to vehicles and could care less. I have had my share of nods and waves but not as much as I had thought.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Keith and Nick! Nick, I felt the same way on the trip-fingers crossed hoping I hadn't forgotten anything, and that it would restart after I'd turned it off at the pump. It was touch and go for a moment, but like they always told us in the Army, you gotta know your equipment! Anyway, I dug out the new Mutt heater last night, so you know what's on tap for this weekend....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Cal_Gary wrote:Thanks Keith and Nick! Nick, I felt the same way on the trip-fingers crossed hoping I hadn't forgotten anything, and that it would restart after I'd turned it off at the pump. It was touch and go for a moment, but like they always told us in the Army, you gotta know your equipment! Anyway, I dug out the new Mutt heater last night, so you know what's on tap for this weekend....
Gary
Gary;

You know where I can get a mutt heater by any chance? I've had my eyes on buying a heater, and so far I like a certain model made by RED Dot, however the one I like is over $200.00. They have lesser models cheaper and I may go that route. I could only find one outfit off the net so far that sells them, and lists prices. They're out in Oregon or someplace like that.
ShieldWolf

Post by ShieldWolf »

Great! Glad to here another one is running out there.
Have fun.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Cal_Gary,
Congrats on getting it on the road. On my first run, at night, in my first M, the oil filter pressure line failed dumping about a qt. of oil over everything and if I had not been at a gas station and noticed the puddle under the truck and the smoke I might have had a disaster on my hands. I was lucky as the station had a line in stock and after a couple of minutes and some oil I was on my way again and drove back home with no stops to show it to my friends, that would have to be at a later date and in daylight when I felt more comfortable driving it.

Nick,
Sam Winer Motors, 3417 Waterloo Road, Akron Ohio, 44312 Phone# 330-628-4881 lists a new Mutt heater in the latest MV magazine as being available for $70.
http://www.samwinermotors.com/
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

HEATER

Post by Nickathome »

Carter;

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nick, Carter beat me to it-that was going to be my suggestion too, although I picked mine up on E-Bay. Cold morning this morning for CA so the heater is going in this weekend.

Shieldwolf and everyone-thanks for the kind remarks! You are all great forum mates and I am glad to post with each and every one of you-great group!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W