Carburetor rebuild question?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Carburetor rebuild question?

Post by Wayne64 »

Since I need to stay out of the way on this Turkey day I figured the shop was a good place to be. With the M37B1 I also got an extra original carb that I thought to take down and get a feel for the B&B. The one snag so far is that the accelerator pump piston is stuck in the upper cover bore. I've soaked it good with PB Blaster and did some real light tapping but it hasn't budged. Are there any tricks for removal?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Most likely the leather cup and the metal carb body have corroded and are fused together. The piston will be so damaged that no amount of care will allow it to be used again. I have had success removing the piston working a very small thin blade knife around the pistons bore and then allowing all to soak in solvent then twisting the piston to free it. This wrecks the leather cup but will allow the pump plunger to be removed.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

I should have explained it better. The leather cup end came right out of the bodies bore. The other end which is the vacuum piston end is stuck in the top cover. I may try 125 psi or a bit of heat from my heat gun?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I've seen a few pistons stuck, more likely is the retainer that holds it in place. A little gentle tugging usually does the trick.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com