Considering buying a gun... opinions

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

more I read, the more I think I'll either do the FEG, or, the Makarov. Id love to do the 1911, but I just cant justify spending 800 bucks on one.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

You can get a 1911A1 around here for way less than $800...unless it's been accurized, that is. I haven't "shopped" for one for years, but I have seen "military souvenirs" that GIs "forgot" to turn in when they were discharged go for as little as $50 or $75 at local estate auctions.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
CREEPING DEATH
PFC
PFC

Post by CREEPING DEATH »

Josh wrote:more I read, the more I think I'll either do the FEG, or, the Makarov. Id love to do the 1911, but I just cant justify spending 800 bucks on one.
Can't go wrong with a 'real' Makarov, I've used them for years, a Bulgarian one resides wedged between the seats of my car.

CD
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

GUNS GUNS & MORE GUNS !

Post by anthony manzella »

Being a newbie ! you should pick up as many magazines about guns ask as many questions from where you would like to buy from , and if they don't want to honestly help you than find another place to buy from always ask questions ! most places do have rentals try a few out ! wheel guns are a blast brings you back to the cowboy era ! 32s/38s good beginners , but as said the22 L R is cheap to shoot and has many different types of ammo to use including H P / bird shot or snake charmers really cool rounds . GOOD LUCK IN YOU QUESS & be SAFE ! :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

My self defense pistol is either a Bersa thunder 9 with a 3" barrel, or a Taurus PT99 5" barrel depending on what I am wearing for concealability, both in 9MM (+p JHP), the Bersa is inexpensive but a well built pistol, the Taurus is a Beretta clone (Taurus bought all the tooling from Beretta when they closed the Brazilian plant). Rifles, I have an SKS 7.62 X 39 (the, if not one of the most common ammo in the world today) and a Mini 14 .223 (5.56 NATO capable) and a Marlin .22LR for plinking and small varmint.  Its all a judgement call on the part of the individual, and what you use it for. For self defense it has to be something you are comfortable with, and can use WITHOUT THINKING! It isn't comfortable to carry and shouldn't be, but for me I like the security, my personal feeling is a 9MM to .45 for self defense, a .45 is nice but it does kick a bit more and can intimidate some folks and most are large frame and harder to conceal, for ease of use a revolver is the simplest and easiest to use. best in .38 special or .357 mag. Studies show in a self defense situation on average there are a total of 2.5 rounds fired so any pistol would work (my thought if it's worth shooting once it's worth shooting twice!) bottom line is get what you can comfortablely shoot and PRACTICE until you can use it without thinking, I'm not saying that we shouldn't think if we have to use it in self defense, but the use of the weapon in self defense should be second nature whatever you carry!
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
CREEPING DEATH
PFC
PFC

Post by CREEPING DEATH »

russcal
PFC
PFC

Post by russcal »

Hiya, Josh, and all!

Great question Josh! And everyone has a good answer. Peoples tastes in firearms are like peoples tastes in cars: some like big, some like small. Some are stick shift, some are automatics (transmission). Some like 'em loud, some like 'em quiet.

Your skill level and potential use for the gun are probably the two biggest factors. For plinking, anything .22 LR is easy shooting, inexpensive, and fun. I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22 rifle; fairly inexpensive, tons of goodies available for it, and darned reliable.

If you are after "shock and awe", the Soviet / Chinese / Yugo versions of the SKS carbine in 7.62mm x 39 are cheap and plentiful, and they make an impressive "display".

For handguns, I'd suggest either a Ruger GP100 revolver, in .357 / .38, or a Springfield Armory M1911A1 in .45ACP. The Ruger is probably one of the best revolvers on the market, and not too bad pricewise. The Springfield M1911A1 is just a classic. Less expensive than the Colt versions, it's basically a basic G.I. model. One thing to take into account depending on your skill level, revolvers have less ammo capacity than semiautomatics, but are "virtually" jam proof.

For home defense, I'd go with one of the handguns, or even a Mossberg 500 series shotgun. Nothing says 'get out of my house' quite as plainly as the sound of a shotgun being "racked"!

Good luck with your pick and remember to get instruction!

There's my 2 cents worth!

Russ
FAA Airman *Pending*
Proud son of Rose and Wes
Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

russcal wrote: Nothing says 'get out of my house' quite as plainly as the sound of a shotgun being "racked"!
And a Model '97 Winchester says it best! :twisted:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

if you want knockdown colt 1911 45 caliber, if you want smooth control go with the 9mm beretta, you can get 22 lr tops for both guns to plink with :D
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
HWooldridge
PVT
PVT

Post by HWooldridge »

After owning a bunch of 1911 model .45's (and foolishly trading them away) I bought a Llama from Academy for $230 a few years ago, added a Millet rear that I already had and a surplus match grade barrel and bushing. Probably added $100 to the cost but she'll shoot 2-3" at 25 yds and doesn't jam. Finally gave it to my son for a carry gun since he travels a great deal.

The whole point of this little story is that the Llamas are not real sexy but plenty serviceable at a reasonable price.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I'm probbal going to get a cheap 22 pistol for plinking right now (thinking about the walther P22), and then get a walther P99 in either 9mm, or the .40 S&W OR, of course, a S&W SW99...
Bush Pilot

Post by Bush Pilot »

I'll second the Ruger 10/22 recommendation. Finely made, very accurate, fun and cheap to shoot. Fits nicely under the $400 budget. Easily one of the best bangs for the buck out there.
The Walther P22 won't leave you much change left to buy any ammo.

For serious personal protection you cant beat a Remington 870.

For a small carry side arm, S&W model 60 has no peers for dependability, and ease of use.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

How about a Sauer Drilling? Beautifully made and it come in a variety of guages/calibers. I've been out of shooting sports for quite a while, now, due to serious health issues, so I don't know how "available" these juicy little toys are or how much they'd set you back. I'd love to have one, though. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"