1st snow 2018 w/ pictures...

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

1st snow 2018 w/ pictures...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All,
Finally we got a big dump-20 inches that Veronica and I have been blowing/shoveling for the past two days, so yesterday afternoon I rewarded our efforts by taking a spin around the neighborhood with the new tire chains on the back. Had no problem staying in 2WD with the chains, and busted through a 3-foor snow berm as part of the fun. Anyway, here are the latest pictures of my truck, with chains, and some of the 7th Infantry Division (Hourglass) badging included. This truck served with the 7th the same time I did, back in 1977. Enjoy!
Gary

P.S. I have the winch off, awaiting rebuild....
Attachments
M37 2018 2nd photo.jpeg
M37 2018 2nd photo.jpeg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
M37 2018.jpeg
M37 2018.jpeg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Re: 1st snow 2018...

Post by Marmalute »

Nice looking truck you got there Gary!
And yes, there is something about chaining these rigs up and running them through the snow that sure can be a lot of fun! It might have something to do with snow cleans up easier than mud? Hard to know, but I know I always look forward to those big snowstorms. This year, all our big snowstorms have come in the form of rain, which seems to be a trend for the last 5 years or so. On the bright side- 3 more months of winter, so still a potential for snow here.
Cal_Gary

Re: 1st snow 2018...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Marmalute! I've been slogging away on this truck since 2004-it's multi-colored with a nice patina-one I'm not worried about scratching up should I run across branches and such. Eventually I will even out the color to 24087 throughout. It also has the 230 with a rebuild tag dated 1969 on it.

Snow has been weak out West this winter-usually I have many opportunities for snow shots but not this season. We probably have a couple more months to see if we can get some snow pack.

Oh, and yes, that is the canvas top you were asking about over in the General Topics section-11 years old and still functional....

Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Cal_Gary

Re: 1st snow 2018 w/ pictures...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow, everyone must be busy-I figured I'd get a number of responses on this; thanks Marmalute for weighing in!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am just too old to want to live in a northern climate anymore. Here I sit, looking out at the sunrise coming up over the Salt Marsh, just south of Charleston SC. Went for a bike ride yesterday. I am a "garage guy", and the unusually long, 3 weeks, of unseasonally cold weather back at our home in Upstate SC has really put a crimp in my hobbies, my truck, and my reloading. Making up a batch of 30 cal for my '44 Inland M1 Carbine. Went out to a range the other day, and checked out a great place for some off roading soon. Along the railroad tracks out in the rural area, lots of trails, hills, wash-outs, brush, acres and acres of fun to be enjoyed. Not posted, either. No chained gate, just looks like it will be a great place to take my son and his 3 year old son out for some recreation. But for those who live in climates with lots of snow, I am glad you too get out to enjoy your own kind of fun in snow. Nice pictures, too.

Leaving in the AM to head down to Daytona for the 24 Hour Rolex, our 15th year, we meet up with some friends and have a great time. We always drive this or that sports car, this year, son Chris' new Alfa 4C, the two seat sports car. We will be in the Grassroots big tent area so if you see his white 4C leave us a note and we will link up.

all the best, and glad to see others are enjoying their trucks in every way possible.

NV
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Envy :mrgreen: , have not had any deep snow here so far this winter., just a couple of storms that dropped an 1" or 2 but nothing worth taking the truck out in. Great shots Gary, looks like a lot of fun...wish I were there.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Belated thanks, Nam Vet, and Carter!
Still no more measurable snow, with temps in the mid-60's by the weekend. Guess I'll pull the chains off and get 'em sprayed off and stored....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Yesterday was our first day with no measurable snowfall. I was hoping that we would skate through the winter with only trace amounts but that was only a pipe dream. :roll:

We have about 15" of snow on the ground and I have been pushing it out of the way with the Bobcat...........the piles are about 8'high at the end of the driveway by the HWY.

The temps are going up into the 40s tomorrow and they are forecasting rain...............

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

And your pictures are where?! Just kidding Bert! How's everything? We haven't had diddly after the snow in this thread although we might get some next Tuesday.
We'll see....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I deserve that Gary for not posting pictures. Everything in general is going fine, when I first heard of our plant shutting down and moving to a different state I was in shock and sick for days. (a 10 day warning before Christmas will get anyone's attention....right quick) My wife has calmed down now that she has seen that our world didn't collapse and she claims that I am much more laid back. I have found some supplemental work and have been pounding the pavement looking for more consistent hours and pay scale.

I learned many years ago to improvise, adapt, overcome.

Bert

I sent you a picture via text of the snow.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

PM sent, and a picture to your phone, Bert,
All will work out for the best-we're sure of it my Friend!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

Gary;

You did not get any snow this past week end??? or did it all go North?? We got 11 inches on the Valley floor---12 to 13 on the Mountains. We are at 104 inches packed on the Mountain with a total of 164 inches so far this year. It is still not as good as last year, we need more snow to get thru summer dry season.

Don
Jackson Hole Wyoming
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

PMed you Don, and yes, just got slammed last night, probably 30 inches up our way that called for two passes with the blower. We also had to shovel off our back deck-3 feet of snow on the 8 by 20 foot deck so my arms and shoulders are about to fall off right now. I drove the M37 to work last night with the tire chain cadence making music through the snow. No issues at all with the chains + 4WD active. The Salt Lake valley saw more than 400 accidents yesterday as a result of the storm, to include 4 state trooper vehicles hit.

I need to pick up a new camera so I can post pix again-took a couple with my phone but it's not "net-ready" so I can't do much with them but I sent one to Bert early in the storm-had to stop at the gas station to get the windshield view working again. I may need to spring for that ugly M37 defroster setup....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Hi Gary,
Are you talking about the ugly defroster unit that comes with the heater kit?
If so, do you know of anyone that might have one available for sale?
I’m looking for that and the diverter “valve” to complete a heater kit for one of my trucks.
30 Inches of snow can be formidable for a M37, even with chains. I might be considering breaking out the duece and a half if we got 30” here. I still kick myself for letting the M29C go away, now that was a snow going machine!
Have fun in the snow! Our snow is coming in the form of heavy rain today with temperatures in the 50s today and more rain and 60s tomorrow.
Best regards, Doug
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Those windshield defroster ducts seem to be few and far between. I saw one on ebay a few years ago, and have had a search running since then without any hits. The diverter valves seem to be slightly more common, but both are hard to find.

I've seen some examples of home-made defroster ducts, usually from PVC pipe. They probably work as well as or better than the original (and with the rounded surfaces, probably safer, too), but they don't look exactly factory-issue.

Since the OEM duct is a reltively simple steel stamping, perhaps John at Midwest will fabricate some new ones someday.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776