Vehicle Lift

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Vehicle Lift

Post by Carter »

I received a phone call from a friend who manages a local garage where I have been dealing for more than 40 years and was asked if I was interested in buying the lift that was going to be removed and a heaver duty one installed. This one is supposed to be a 5 ton lift and they were asking $500. I would have to pay to have it installed in my garage by a professional lift service company. I examined the lift and found it to be in good serviceable condition, how ever, I could not find any data plates or manufactures ID. Anyone recognize what it might be?

While I was there they offered to give me a rebuilt M37 long block, several blasted primed and painted wheels as well as a CJ Jeep transmission and transfer assembly at no cost if I would just remove them.
Attachments
vehicle lift
vehicle lift
Lift.jpg (218.36 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Vehicle Lift

Post by just me »

Free long block? I hate you right now! LOL
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

:D :D :D
Carter
Life Member:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

a year ago, a neighbor of my son offered him a "high end" four post lift, for about half of a new one. My son had a professional move it several blocks to his second garage. He has a tall enough ceiling to actually use it. There are advantages and disadvantages to both the four post ramp lifts, and the single side lift ones. For one, it is nice to have the wheels and suspension hanging down, but then, with a side lift, you can't climb into the cab to do anything. The side posts really obstruct using the doors for anything. On the other hand, a four post lift keeps the wheels down, although many of the four posts do offer packages to enable jacking the the frame. Another advantage of a four post lift is that it makes it easy to just use it as another parking place. A little more crowded with the lift arms folded back to use the space just for parking. I don't have any idea who made the above lift, but it is hard to turn down a lift, if your garage has the height for it.

all the best...

NAM VET
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I would have preferred 4 posts however this one is still in service so it operates well, also at that price it can't be turned down. a pro. installed this one and I plan to hire them for removal and set-up. Height is not a problem except the M will not be able to go full height because of the cargo bed bows and canvas installed which I would remove before lifting. Measured from the lower cord of the trusses to floor I have 20' , the lift is 12' 8" tall. I will be taking a look at the lift again today and will get additional shots and search for info. on the maker which might possibly be painted over.
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Installed here in my shop on Monday and tomorrow the Electrician will be here to power it up, $500 for the lift and another $500 for the move and install.
Carter
Life Member:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Nice score, Carter.

I wish I had the headroom for a lift. I wonder how hard it would be to raise the trusses on the garage, and extend the walls upwards a few feet? :lol:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Elwood, raising the roof as a unit would be difficult but removing the roofing, sheathing and doing all other work associated with increasing the head room would not be any easier and you'd spend a lot of time doing it.
Carter
Life Member:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Unfortunately, you're right Carter, there's no easy way to deal with the headroom problem. I would be inclined to cut the concrete floor and put in an inspection pit before I would raise the roof. I think a new and taller garage would be in order before I get a lift.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Carter,
Check this site:

http://www.autolift.org/

They have some good lift info. Make sure that the floor your anchoring to is enough to support the lift. I believe you can find specs on the site above or from the lift manufacturers (try Rotary). I've heard of 2 lift failures locally. One came down when the anchors failed and it went over forward. The other had worn arm restraints and the arms shifted, dumping the vehicle. Fortunately nobody was squashed, but a dealership had all its lifts red tagged due to poor maintenance!

I will say having access to a lift is GREAT!!!!!! Hope it works out for you. You'll love it :).

Andy
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I don't hate, I am just really jealous. BTW Nice catch!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Andy, thanks for the link...very informative. The concrete floor it is now attached to is a 6+ inch thick 5000 psi one and was spec'd out by me for the purpose of adding a future lift. The lift is anchored to the floor by sixteen 6" long x 3/4 dia. Red Heads torqued to 250ft.lbs. each. My buddy Matt, master electrician wired it in yesterday and it's ready for my first trial lift. I will get some shots later when I am able to walk pain free, tripped on a large rock and twisted my knee and it hurts to move it so no playing with the lift for a couple of days or more. :evil:
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

m-37Bruce wrote:I don't hate, I am just really jealous. BTW Nice catch!
Glad you do not hate my luck Bruce, I was fortunate the friend of mine that manages the garage remembered I was interested in buying their unit when they decided to upgrade to a lift of far greater capacity.
Carter
Life Member:
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Carter wrote:
m-37Bruce wrote:I don't hate, I am just really jealous. BTW Nice catch!
Glad you do not hate my luck Bruce, I was fortunate the friend of mine that manages the garage remembered I was interested in buying their unit when they decided to upgrade to a lift of far greater capacity.
I guess I can make the trec to use a good friend lift, take care of that knee, OK. Make sure your Valentine is taken care of as well.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Will do Bruce, I always take care of her since she is my best friend, partner and lover, I have also learned the always correct answer to her is "Yes dear." :D
Carter
Life Member: