More Vietnam Pictures

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Re: More Vietnam Pictures

Post by j mccormick »

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures, I look for them every time I'm on the forum.

Joe
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

a story from my second war, Desert Storm, now over a quarter century ago. I was one of the physicians in a Reserve EVAC hospital, based in Topeka. I was vacationing in Branson with my family in '89, and one day, picked up a paper for breakfast, and read where Saddam's army had invaded Kuwait. I wondered if eventually I might be involved in that. Then just before Christmas, read where Bush I was sending three more divisions to Saudi Arabia, so told me wife that for sure, we would be called up, as most of the military's medical support is in the Reserves and NG. Sure enough, in a couple of days I got a warning call from my EVAC, telling me it was still secret, but i needed to gather up my equipment, and to expect a call in the AM. And so, it was. I was a LTC by then, and my EVAC reported to our Reserve center, and in a day or so, after packing up, we tripped to Ft. Riley, about a hundred miles west. There we stayed for some weeks, with retraining and all new paperwork. Christmas Eve, the Hospital Commander pulled me aside, and told me he was sending my with the Advance Party, with two other Officers and about a dozen enlisted truck drivers. I was the only officer in our 400 person unit with any prior wartime experience. I had to quickly put my stuff into two duffle bags, drew a .45 from the arms room, and called my wife to say I was leaving in a few minutes, and in a couple of hours was airborne in the tiny troop compartment of C5A, landing in the port city of Dahran. There our little group drew our pre-loaded and pre-positioned trucks, and I got a military license for a HUMVEE. In a couple of weeks, I was detailed with one other officer and one 5 ton truck with two drivers, to head out 300 miles into the desert, to link up and find a place for our hospital. So, with me driving a HUMVEE, the 5 ton following, we left and headed out. It was a harrowing trip, because the airwar was start the next day, and thousands of SA families and businesses where fleeing the front lines, so mostly I drove right down the middle of the road, with oncoming trucks and cars streaming past me on both side, or driving the HUMVEE with precisely half the right wheels off the road.

Hours after dark, we were out in the desert, no roads now, complete blackout, just driving with the Black Out lights, which are less than Lume sticks. I was exhausted after 18 hours of driving, the truck right behind me. Found some MP's, asked where a HQ was, and he pointed to a lit big supply tend on the horizon. So headed that way, and drove into a big supply area, where fork lifts and such were moving huge supply loads around. Stopped in the middle, and a guard came running up and asked how I had driven thru all the surrounding barb concertina wire they had all around their supply dump. I told him we just drove in. He said "no way" you could have come thru without going thru the guarded entrance. I just told him he best find and fix the hole in their protection. He walked us out past the gate, and pointed into the almost zero visibility mists and rain to "it should be somewhere out that way."

I drove a bit further, and then nosed my HUMVEE into some big crater, then told the Major riding with me: "This is it, I can't drive any more", put my head on the steering wheel, and was asleep in seconds.

In a few days, we were safely in the regional HQ command compound, and then some general took the two of us out to some place in the desert, and said "put your hospital here." Just flat sand and rocks. So our little advance party set to work, going out ever day in the cold rain to mark it out and start putting up or tents. We stayed bone marrow cold, and just could never get warm.

Here is a picture of our initial tenting. I will next post the story about the lost M16 and how I highjacked a road roller.
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When I used to have assignments over seas, I often wondered why the local people just always seemed to wear too much clothing, when I was wearing much less. Why were they always over dressed for the temperatures. Then, when our little advance part would go daily, all 15 or so of us, out to our hospital site, and start putting up first some living tents, it was always blowing a cold wet wind. And I found out that if you never can get warm, you are perpetually just cold. The only time I could warm my bone marrow up was at night when I could crawl into my issue sleeping bag on a cot, and in a few minutes, feel warmth seeping into my body. Even now, when I first pull the covers up, and just reflect how warm and comforting it is.

The HQ compound had all sorts of units there, so I walked over every morning to the morning briefing, but stayed low and in the back, not wanting to draw attention to myself or our little group in residence. Best to fly under the radar, so to speak. The briefing was always run by this old crusty COL, who just ranted and raved about how nothing was going right, and threatened every officer there with immediate relief of command because of this and that.

One day, I told one of our drivers, a really fine chap, the kind that makes our military so great, to get a co-driver, and drive the 300 miles back in his truck, gather up more tools, and to immediately return. So he left, and returned sometime before dawn. That morning, as usual I walked over to the briefing tent, and the COL held up a M16 that was found in the compound, and made remarks such that "how can we win a war if our troops leave their weapons around", and when he found what unit the rifle belonged to, that unit's commander was dead meat.

After the briefing, I walked back to our tent and told the group about how some trooper and his commander was going to have a really bad day when they went to retrieve their missing M16. Then my driver told me, "sir, when I came back this morning, I was so exhausted I must have left my rifle leaning against my truck." I just said "oh no", we are in big trouble now. We have to go and get your rifle back. So I told the trooper, "this is how it going to go down." We will present our selves to the COL, ask for your rifle back, and then we both just go to a happy place, and wait out the ass chewing we are going to get." When it is over, we will salute, and leave, and put this behind us. So we waited our turn to speak to the COL sitting at his field desk, and as he hung up his field phone, saying "it's just one goddam thing after another", came to attention, saluted, and I pointed to the M16 leaning against his desk and said "that is our rifle, sir."

He just sighed, handed us the rifle, and said to go back to work. We saluted, about faced, and left smartly. And went back to work. My whole military career had flashed before my eyes, and I sighed that it wasn't over just yet.

a picture of our residence tenting, things are a bit dryer now...

there was constant stream of units and trucks and armored vehicles traveling west for the upcoming ground war. These trucks all have their "air guards up top with their Machine guns," although I am not sure what they would have done against an Iraqi jet dropping cluster bombs at 600 ground knots....
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

You know.. This is some of the best readin' on the net.

Thanks!

-jim lee
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Thanks, here is another one.

I and our little advance party had been over in the Desert a month already in somewhat austere conditions, but day by day it got better. I think I must be part mongrol, because I was quite tolerant of our living conditions and besides, combat troops were scattered around living in muddy foxholes, and had it so much worse than us. A month or so later, our "main body" arrived by truck from the port of Dahran, where we had come in before. Late one evening after their own 300 mile trip in open trucks, they rolled into our growing little tented hospital, and with the arrival of the almost 400 troops, we could really get our EVAC up and ready for the coming ground war. It was still cold and wet, and muddy every where. I welcomed the commander, and promptly found the newly arrived troops, half of them female, wanted to somehow find a way to tell their families stateside that they had arrived safely. So I went to each residence tent, and told the unpacking troops that they were to select one of their comrades, and meet me at the truck park in a half hour with the home phone numbers of their tent buddies, and I would take their selection in trucks to a phone bank some miles away. I left it up to the tent crews to choose their representative, as I wasn't about to get into that decision process.

So as the darkness came down, in minutes as it does near the equator, I loaded them up, and lead our several trucks across the desert to the phone bank, this being a tent set up with rows of pay phones, guarded of course, where troops were given no more than ten minutes to make collect calls back home. It was near a track park, and the tanks and APC's and other vehicles had churned up the mud that it was like pea soup, over our boot tops, just a mud wallow. After the soldiers had made their calls, giving the folks back home the numbers of their tent buddies to call and reassure, I gathered them all up and told them to mount up to head back. At which point some of the female troops, and male troops also told me they had to go to the bathroom, and asked where the porta potties were. I told them there are no porta potties in combat zones, and they should just go. I needed to clarify this, and then told the females to go on the right side of the trucks, the males on the left, and so they did, in all that mud and rain. It went a long way to introduce them to what it was going to be like from then on. And so they soon took to assembling our hospital with vigor and dedication.

When I met our commander, he told me I was then and there the new Chief of Professional Services, or the head physician, as I was the only one in our unit with prior wartime experience. I immediately set up our physician team of 24 highly talented doctors like a civilian hospital, coordinated rounds, a call system, peer review, and because of their dedication to duty and our patients, they functioned magnificently, and I will forever be proud to have been associated with such a team.

One day, before the full hospital arrived, one of our female nurses, also on the advance party, found that her husband was at the HQ of combat brigade further out in the desert, and asked if she could somehow go see him. So I checked out a HUMVEE, and drove her miles forward, found the field HQ, and when she met her husband, told her it was about dark, and we needed to be heading back very soon. She and He could have ten minutes alone in his tent, while I guarded the door flap for their privacy, and she came out in ten minutes with appreciation, and we headed back. The mud was so deep it flowed over the hood of my HUMVEE like some great dark wet blanket. We made it back just fine.

It is one AM, and I just got home from a 13 hour shift in a Pediatric Urgent care center up in Charlotte, where I work occasionally. A Heinekin beer and some pretzels, and now off to bed. I am taking a tire up to Charles T's place two hours away in the AM to have a new NDT put on the rim, and will return with my rebuilt carb, starter, generator, and fuel pump, although I am not going to put the latter on.

I was privileged to serve back in ''72-'73 as commander of a 14 man Special Forces A team with the Fifth Group for 18 months. On an A Team the Commander carries just as much gear, pulls the same guard duty and every other task as his men. I learned that a Commander who looks after the welfare and morale of his men has a far greater cohesive force than a disinterested Commander does. And so I carried that trait also with me in my second war, Desert Storm.

Here is an ariel view of our EVAC, surrounded by a ten foot berm, the living tents on the right, the hospital itself in the middle, with trucks blocking on of our two entrances.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Just to show how difficult it is to keep army trucks running, the big water truck partially blocking the lower entrance, with an armed security post on each side, had a bad motor, and would only drive a few feet back and forth. Hence, was used as a blocking truck. Our vehicle maintenance section is in the far distant corner of the compound. As a hospital unit, we were not authorized any heavy machine guns, like '50's, we only had our sidearms, .45 old 1911's, and our M 16's. But we had combat troops scattered around our berm in these awful dugouts. Usually full of water. As soon as we got our laundry up and running, we went out and gathered up their wet and muddy clothing, and washed it all up for those protecting us. As soon as the cold rainy season ended, the summer heat and blowing sand and dust became the next plague. Here is a sandstorm about to envelope us, best to run for cover and get your mask and goggles on.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

We worked from before sun up to dusk to get done what we could in building our EVAC out in the desert. While our canvas tentage did not require any sort of precise alignment, it was essential for our hospital tenting to be layed out and assembled in a very precise way, or the metal framing would simply not lock together. So the actual hospital was arranged along a very precise tape line. Our EVAC was co-located inside this great 10 foot high berm, with another EVAC, the 148th, adjacent to our EVAC. The planners who thought it best to do so, I suppose thinking the two hospitals would be mutually supporting, did not understand the competitive attitude of the two units, bordering on contempt for one another. Our little advance party was protecting our "line" to keep any vehicles from driving over it the mud and sand, when the advance party of the 148th came over and lamented that they had trucks come in during the night, and their precise line was now just deep ruts and furrows in the mud. I had been to a staff briefing where it was mentioned that US forces could "commandeer" any roadbuilding equipment that belonged to the Saudi government if needed. I recalled seeing a great big road roller, with huge drive wheels sitting out in the desert, abandoned by its driver, so asked my driver crew if any one had experience with heavy equipment, and one of them piped up that he had operated big equipment back in the states. So I took him out across the desert to the road roller, and told him if he could start it, he could have it. With a cheerful grin, he climbed up to the cab, yanked down some wires, flashed some sparks, and soon had the big diesel fired up. Then I led him back across the desert to our EVAC sight, watching his yellow roller bounding across the dunes and ruts all the way into our berm. We then proceeded to "iron" out our hospital site, and when the crew of the 148th saw how our site was so pretty and flat, asked it they too could flatten our their rutted site. Of course, we sent our driver over to fix their disaster.

Now, it was still raining and muddy, and while I was away some of our party had the bright idea of digging holes in the sand, to let the water run into, such big holes being just muddy pits, indistinguishable from the other ground. I cautioned my driver to keep the roller away from the pits, but sure enough, when I was away briefly, I came back to see someone had driven the roller right into a pit, from which we could not extract it. I was just sure we were going to have to build our hospital around the roller somehow, when I noted an Engineer Battalion in the distance moving forward, so I drove over to it, and asked the CO if he could help help my predicament. He sent back with me this huge, gigantic forkloader, the likes of which I have never seen, perhaps they use it to lift up tanks to replace a track or something. The driver just lifted our sunken roller out of the pit, at which time after thanking and releasing the fork lift, I told my drive to drive it out somewhere and just leave the roller. We were done with it. And here is the stuck roller:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

One day, our little party saw black smoke coming from the 148's area, obviously they had a fire, so we grabbed our ready fire extinguishers, threw them into the back of a truck and raced over, and when we pulled up to their burning cook tent, we did our best to embarrass them by making all sorts of siren and fire engine sounds as we pulled up and hopped off to put out their fire. They had put their fire extinguishers where they could not find them, and their cook tent was burnt out in seconds. Luckily, the fire had not spread to the rest of their tentage. Since they were without a cook tent, we went back and gathered up what spares we could loan them, and returned with cook stoves and pots and pans and cooking supplies, or otherwise they were going to be on MRE's from then on. Here is the aftermath of their fire. [URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... jpeg[/img][/url]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

And here is my cot, my bed for the 5 months I was in the Desert. I was comfortable, and content, and didn't have any issues with my residence.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Our EVAC was located not far from a Saudi airstrip, and thus an US Air Force load team was attached to our hospital for "lodging" and support. Being Air Force, they operated under a different set of rules, so to speak. Until the ground war concluded, every time we were out of our living tents, or the hospital, we had to put on all our web gear, helmet, protective mask, just the whole kit and kaboodle. The AF guys were quick to ditch that stuff as soon as the ground war concluded, while it took awhile for us Army guys to get the authorization to relax the gear rules. The AF guys were pretty relaxed, and on the "patio" of their residence tent they built up quite a work out center, pull up bars, home made weight sets, sunbathing cots, a grill, and so forth. So here is a picture of the Sky Guys lounging about in the sun, while an Army trooper walks by in full military regalia. The AF guys and their leisure lifestyle reminded me of the pilots in the movie Top Gun. Always tanning and pumping iron.
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... jpeg[/img][/url]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

There are two seasons out in the Saudi Arabian desert, cold and wet, and one day, it just switches, just like that, to searing heat and dryness. So we went in one day from mud and rain to dust and heat. Our hospital saw more patients in the five months we were in operation than any other in the war. Our total patient count was just over 35,000 encounters. Sometimes, we would get "mass casualties" of more than 25 at a time, most of which were wounded Iraqi troops. Our team of physicians, nurses, and support staff was magnificent, and we could have a wounded trooper on one of our six operating room tables in less than two minutes from the time a chopper set down on our helipad. Sometimes, I and a few other physicians would drive over to a big POW camp with thousands of surrendered Iraqi troops, and provide care there too. We used English speaking Iraqi medics for care. At first, the Iraqi POW's were just grateful to be out of the war, but then they became unruly, and would crowd the barb wire fencing, and the Saudi Army guards would start shooting them. Which just made more work for our busy medical staff. We had to implore them to cut down on their shooting of the surrendered Iraqi troops. We took care of whomever came in the door, US, British, Saudi civilians, whomever was injured in the main road nearby, and lots of poor Iraqi children, usually shot by the Iraqi Republican Guard, or wounded by things like US Cluster bombs. Tragically, another EVAC had some MD gather up a Cluster Bomb, which are like silver soft balls, and bring it into his tent as a curiosity, and then dropped it, killing him and most of his tent mates.

When the war began to wind down, and the cease fire was arranged, the rules were relaxed, and while our medical staff stayed very busy, those not on call or doing this or that duty, would gather for the evening hot meal, and stand patiently in line, just chatting and sharing stories from the home front. It was peaceful, and I cannot recall a single instance of anger or frustration or the like in our unit. Everyone, male or female, officer or enlisted, was totally committed to our mission, and hence endured whatever hardship was encountered. About a third of our 400 troop EVAC was female, and they too worked with dedication and endurance. Here is a picture of our dinner chow line, a time of sharing and support, of peace and friendship. And next, a picture, one of my favorites, of two of our nurses in the often blowing sand and dust, just going about their business. When I look back at my pictures of this time in my life, now over 25 years ago, I have a great sense of pride and satisfaction, it was one of the best and most rewarding times in my entire life. I was just so privileged and honored to be part of that mission and work with such superb American military troops. When I tell others of my time there, the thing I am most proud of is that I can say that no American died at our hospital who arrived with a heartbeat.

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Its getting to the point that I check this forum 98% of the time just too see if there's another chapter to the story.

Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

-jim lee
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Thanks Jim, as long as the moderators don't object, and some of the forum members get a chuckle out of my military life, I'll keep putting them up, and I have lots of pictures. Next up is how my Lt on my SF A team fell out of a C130 in the 5th Group's jumpmaster school. And then the time I lost my M16 on an operation one night in Turkey, and then, the incident of the misplaced M14 on a patrol in Ranger school.
Just for fun, here is a picture of some troops, including some of my MD's digging in a defensive position, wearing all their sand gear to keep their lungs from filling up with dust. No no matter what we were doing, even at work in our hospital, we wore our protective masks. [URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... jpeg[/img][/url]

and then two of my ruthless Vietnamese body guards, as good a solder as anywhere in the world. Note how they just hang their grenades on their web gear. When they would come back in the AM from a night ambush, they would proudly swing the heads of the VC they had killed. Tuff, tuff, ruthless soldiers.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

In '72 or so, I was CO of A/1/5, a 14 man A Team based at Bragg. An A team back then was two officers, two medics, two light weapons men, two heavy weapons men, two commo men, two demo men, and two other men whose skills I can't remember now, so the team could splint into two sections, and operate independently. I was detailed to attend the SF jump master school, about three weeks, learning how to make sure a jumper and his equipment were safe, and of course the 6 minute jump commands, which I can still do after a few beers. Then the third week, we just jumped over and over, you jumped your buddy, then land, grab another chute, and go up again, in now C130's, and your buddy would jump you. Over and over. While I have fear of heights, like roofs, and cliff edges, somehow, leaning out into 130 mph winds looking for the drop markers, and making sure there was no water, forests, or especially helicopters on the drop zone, was just simply not scary at all. After every jump, the instructors would grade us, and always mark us down for "a weak safety check." My Lt was taking the course with me, and after another "weak safety check" said "just watch me on the next jump."

So the next time we went up, and Lieutenant L was standing in the door of our C130, with the rest of us waiting to take our turn, Lt L at the door stepped out of the door, and we wondered if he had fallen out, but then noted his static line went forward out the door, and not out the rear of the door. Lt L had stepped out and onto the deployed drag shield a few feet in front of the door, this being a perforated shield deployed to break up the wind for the jumpers. We all were just watching and wondering what was going to happen next, and as the C130 banked in for the run over the drop zone, we saw Lt L put a foot back into the door, and the aircraft crew chief kept kicking his foot off the plane's floor, and would not let him back into the aircraft. Then just at the last moment, he let Lt L reenter the aircraft, and Lt L immediately stood his buddy in the door, and tapped him out and followed him out the door. The the rest of us went one by one, and at our critique after the jump, we listened as Lt L was given good grades for his "safety check" but was down graded for degrading the aerodynamics of the C130.

Soon thereafter, Lt L was sent TDY to Vietnam to teach the Vietnamese how to use TOW anti-Tank missiles, and when he came back to my team 45 days later, he informed me he had fallen in love with his "hootch maid", and wanted to bring her back to the US as his bride. I counseled him about life, and the army regulations, making it difficult but not impossible to do. Mostly I suggested he think it over, and wait on such an important decision. And I arranged more special duties for him, to keep him busy and his mind occupied. As I now recall, he was soon posted to another unit, and I lost track of his ultimate decision.

Here is picture of I and the local Vietnamese LTC commander of my district, some sort of award ceremony. Afterwards, we would adjourn to one of the buildings in the compound for beer and a meal. Lots of Beer 33, the usual Vietnamese beer. Served over ice frozen from the river, and sent down weekly on some barge, the ice full of all sorts of debris. This left lots of sediment in the bottom of our glasses.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

In SF, unlike the neighboring 82nd Airborne troops, we just jumped with our M16's slung over our shoulder, while the Division troops had to strap their weapons in these padded bags, and strap them to their sides. One of the fellow jumpmaster students was a ver short officer, and as part of our training, we had to learn how to strap equipment containers under our reserve chutes, these being about the size of a footlocker. The intent is to pull two strap releases just before impact, dropping the equipment container about ten feet below us, so a jumper did not have to impact with all that extra weight. Well, this one really short officer, could barely fit the equipment container under his reserve chute. So when we went up in a C130 to jump one another, and the short student waddled over to the door to get ready to do his drop zone safety check, & we saw him stand in the door, and then well before we were over the drop zone, he just fell out. The rest of us wondered where he went, and assumed we would go find him after landing, which we did, finding him walking along a sandy road out in the distant part of the Bragg Reservation. No harm done, he did well on his next jump. Just one of those things that happens.

Here is another picture, here is my sleeping hootch way out in the Plane of Reeds, a tiny "island" in the midst of all that water. I would go out about a week at a time, with my SGT and we would try to teach the local Vietnamese troops how to call in air strikes, but they weren't very interested, and usually just stayed drunk on rice wine and spent the day sleeping it off. No motivation at all, but I did the best I could. Al least it was the dry season, and not too wet at night.
[url][URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/u ... .jpg[/img][/url][/url]