Antivirus and Malware on your computer??

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Antivirus and Malware on your computer??

Post by Monkey Man »

I have noticed an increase in general of computers about the place being affected by malware, spyware and viruses so I thought I would post this advice (bear in mind it is only advice and yes, I know, there are many different ways to achieve the same result.)
1. Purchase a complete antivirus/malware package such as Mcafee, Norton, AVG if this is practical for you to do or if you have a package already re-install it and update it as malware may have damaged it to the point of non-function. There are trusted websites that carry viruses as a result of hacker activity and many sites with "FREE" stuff that tend to give you a bonus with your download or even run malware as a part of their coding.

2. If you have little or no protection then download some free ones to clean the system, I personally use...

AVG Free available from http://www.grisoft.com (You can also purchase a full edition)
Malware Bytes anti Malware Free available from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (You can also purchase a full edition)
Super anti spyware available free from http://www.superantispyware.com/ (You can also purchase a full edition)

There are many other software options available, choose the "Flavour" that suits you.
Once installed run superantispyware after it updates and reboot as requested, rerun the software after the reboot and once completed run the malware bytes anti malware, reboot as requested and re-run after reboot.
Also make sure your antivirus has updated and scan with that also but run these scans separately as running them together can cause problems.
I run these 3 items on a few of my computers with good success but as always, a full commercial antivirus/spyware/malware package is the best option and subscribed users get 24/7 phone support.

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Antivirus and Malware on your computer??

Post by Carter »

Working on that now, get back to you tomorrow.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Cool Carter, I am sure you'll have it sorted in no time....

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Thank you for posting this.I'll be copying the addresses and updating my firewall.I'll let you know how it turns out,Chris.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

No worries Chris, I'll help in any way I can...

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Good advice MM,

I'm running all three of those already.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

ZoneAlarm makes a decent (and free) all-in-one antivirus, antimalware, firewall.

I use ZoneAlarm primarily, with an occasional scan from anti-malware bytes during the week. I had AVG, but it seemed to have gotten pretty invasive the last I used it...caused more problems than it prevented.