NOS FRONT FENDERS ON EBAY...

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: NOS FRONT FENDERS ON EBAY...

Post by just me »

And I am still into A's and T's.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I have worked on the engines of A's and T's but I don't think I would even know how to start a T.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Turn on the fuel
Retard the spark
Add some throttle
Switch on the coils
Engage the starting handle and with your thumb NOT wrapped over the handle, pull up smartly.
You may need to engage the choke and try again.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I too never had any interest in the early Fords, or the Hot Rod variants of same. Just not for me. I learned to drive in m dad's '59 Anglia, the boxy one, (which I rolled onto its roof in my HS parking lot one day) and that instilled a lifelong interest in small cars in me. My second car was a '63 TR4 (which I drove 44K miles in the 11 months I owned it), then a '63 MGB, then my first new car, a '69 Charger R/T, with the 440, which I took to Germany in that year as a newly minted 2nd Lt. For some reason, which to this day I just don't understand, I sold it there and bought a '71 VW Squareback, upon which I started my lifelong obsession with modifying cars, said car getting me thru several more Army years, and pre-med and then med school, rolling over 250K miles, trading it out years later for my first of two TR8's, then a few years without a sports car, the second TR sacrificing itself to a fuel leak in my garage in '84. Then into a much modified first gen AWD Mitsu Eclipse, then a decade with my Superformance 427 Cobra replica, again much modified, and tracked and dragged relentlessly, then a late Porsche, then into an '07 GT3, again much modified. '

But I have had a life-long near fascination with military vehicles, and tried to acquire a 6 wheel WWII armored car even when I was first in college. So my M37/42 is my first and likely last specialty vehicle. Sort of a full circle.

When I talk about the muscle cars of the late '60's, my son, who is a real car guy, now in a Lotus and moving to the 4c Alpha soon, has no interest in those vintage Irons, nor the modern interpretation of them. I think someday he will have a Ferrari or similar. But a somewhat sad phenomena is the lack of interest in things automotive in today's youth. The fascination of the "rice cars' of 15 years ago has largely fallen by the wayside. There will always be a niche group who maintains an interest in Muscle Cars, and Hot Rods, and our MV's, and an even smaller group who keeps expensive Vintage exotics in their garages. But interest in things Automotive is slowly waning, as we are forced to move to boring, relentlessly reliable autonomous vehicles. No one will experience having to use a shoe lace to tie a spark plug wire onto a TR4 to get across country, or having to get up several times in the middle of a cold Nebraska night, to go out and start their British sports car, and push sterno cans under the sump, avoiding the fuel and oil leaks, or use a string to the throttle back in the rear of a VW to get home, when the throttle cable breaks, or find a way to go 1100 miles in a TR with no oil pressure, or set the dwell or points in a Lucas distributor. Or run one side up on a curb in an interstate rest stop and crawl underneath to tighten up a rack and pinion steering of a Cobra, or replace an alternator in the rain alongside the road 500 miles from home in said Cobra. Or like me, accomplish a total rebuild of a '52 Military Dodge's motor.

Someday, our today's youth will be mystified when some troublesome little light on the dash won't go out. Like a couple of years ago, when a doctor partner asked me why, and we went out and I pulled his dipstick, and showed him how it should have oil on it, and not be rusty.

All the best, guys.

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

just me wrote:Turn on the fuel
Retard the spark
Add some throttle
Switch on the coils
Engage the starting handle and with your thumb NOT wrapped over the handle, pull up smartly.
You may need to engage the choke and try again.
Kind of sounds like my 60 Harley. Found out the hard way what happens when you do not retard the timing :roll: , You kick it and it kicks back and you end up in another time zone. :shock: :lol: If you are lucky you did not get a broken leg.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

NAM VET wrote: No one will experience having to use a shoe lace to tie a spark plug wire onto a TR4 to get across country, or having to get up several times in the middle of a cold Nebraska night, to go out and start their British sports car, and push sterno cans under the sump, avoiding the fuel and oil leaks, or use a string to the throttle back in the rear of a VW to get home, when the throttle cable breaks, or find a way to go 1100 miles in a TR with no oil pressure, or set the dwell or points in a Lucas distributor. Or run one side up on a curb in an interstate rest stop and crawl underneath to tighten up a rack and pinion steering of a Cobra, or replace an alternator in the rain alongside the road 500 miles from home in said Cobra.
Good Lord, I think I have done just about every one of those emergency roadside repairs. Maybe not on the same vehicles but the same repairs. Definitely the string on the VW throttle, That was a staple of owning an old V-Dub. :roll: I have replaced timing chains in parking lots and had to replace a complete set of rod and main bearings in a Ford pickup in a dirt parking lot in the middle of nowhere in the Nevada desert after a rock kicked up and knock a hole in my oil filter and I lost all the oil. At least It had a camper on it so I had a place to live for the week I was there waiting for the parts and doing the job. I had a little bit of an advantage since there was a garage across the street and he let me borrow any tools or jacks I needed no charge. This was back when people were friendly and willing to help if they could. Another thing that is going away today.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I like to think discussions like this are generational..........my grandfather thought my father's generation was a mess...........my dad thought my generation was a mess..........and I think my girlfriend's kid's generation is a mess. But so far it's always been ok. I'm guessing today's youth will think they enjoyed their youth and the adventures they had during that time, just like I do. I don't see them doing much in that way.........from my perspective they tend to just sit in front of a computer or phone screen most of the time and have no interest in getting their hands dirty.........but I hope their memories of their youth as are great as mine are. Maybe the feeling of lusting after a '67 vette is the same as lusting after an iphone 38. Oh well, just glad I was born in 1964 and not 1994. :mrgreen: (

regards,
bob
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

64! Hell, you are just a kid your self! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Had to use my belt on my 70 Camaro back in college to get home when my throttle cable broke. Tough to do with a 4 speed. Pull belt, let belt go, shift, pull belt..

-jim lee