WTB - Fuel Shut Off Valve

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

WTB - Fuel Shut Off Valve

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Anybody have one of those little brass fuel line shut off valves (just upstream of the fuel pump) they'd like to part with? PN is 7346871. Took mine apart to see why it's leaking and found body had a crack (probably from a casting flaw) in it. PM or email (w30bob@verizon.net). Oh........I called the usual suspects..........it's on backorder and might take awhile to get or I'd just order one.

thanks,
bob
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Re: WTB - Fuel Shut Off Valve

Post by milstencil »

Bob,
Try here: https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/G ... _s/244.htm
Get all my brass fittings from them.
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

milstencil wrote:Bob,
Try here: https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/G ... _s/244.htm
Get all my brass fittings from them.
Rick
You'll also need adapter fittings to go from the NPT threads in the valve to the flared ends of the 5/16" tubing.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Everything you need is available https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/I ... _s/241.htm
from them.
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Thanks! I've ordered (and received) the valve and the two adapter fittings. I'm a bit bummed that I can't find the correct original part with the female flare connections. I called all the typical MV vendors and no one has the correct valve any more. Minimum quantity to have them made by the bigger brass fitting manufacturers is 1000 pieces..........so I assume once all the vendors get talking they combine and put an order in. Just don't know in what year that's going to happen. :mrgreen:

The same valve is used in the M37, M38 and M38A1, and probably other MVs as well. The jeep guys drive the repop parts industry, so once they start bitching the part will be made. But like I said, for now I'll go with the Rube Goldberg approach and use the pipe threaded valve and the adapters. Heck, if I paint it all black......no one will even see it.

Thanks again,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I hear ya', Bob. I hope someone does a quality repop of this valve. The one I have is questionable. It was seized up when I got the truck, and someone had run rubber fuel line from the tank to the pump, completely bypassing the entire hard line.

Once I got the valve apart, I discovered that the internal cone was slightly scored, and the packing around the shaft was not in the best shape. I reassembled it, and it works, but I'm going with a new production valve and adapters. No sense in messing around with a questionable, 60+ year old valve on a gasoline line.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Elwood,

Yeah, I hear ya.........smart move. What I find a bit puzzling is that the valves are still made, just not with inverted flare female ends. They make them for the boat industry for use in fuel lines. But I'd think hard fuel lines in boats would still use flares on the end for a good seal. Most of the valves I see at the boat shops locally and online are all NPT. I don't get it. So now I've got to use 2 flare to NPT adapters to use the new valve and they don't thread in very far on each end. I need to see if I can cut down each adapter and rethread the pipe thread taper. Just a bit of a PITA for such a small simple thing.

Have a good one,
bob
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When I tried to turn my fuel turn off lever, the whole thing cracked apart. So with some searching, I found a similar but not identical brass shut-off, and with some minor adaptions it is about the same size. My truck will have a few inches of fuel injection high pressure stub line from my hard line from under the radiator to my new shut off valve. I have added a Facet 24 volt fuel pump out back near the tank, with a fuel filter just before it, so may decide I don't need another in-line fuel filter just before the carb, as I have made up all new hard fuel lines from tank to front. So I plan on a short run of the fuel injection line from the shut off to my carb's inlet. For clamping, I bought the appropriate fuel injection clamps.

There are far more hook-up parts using npt fittings than there are for flare connections. I am away from my home, so don't have a picture of my new fuel cut off to attach now. Mine is only slightly longer than the OEM military one. I think that when the military spec'ed the fuel lines for these trucks, they wanted all hard lines to reduce blast damage, and lessen the likelihood of rubber line deterioration, especially considering the rubber lines then available.

all the best...

NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

w30bob wrote:Hi Elwood,

Yeah, I hear ya.........smart move. What I find a bit puzzling is that the valves are still made, just not with inverted flare female ends. They make them for the boat industry for use in fuel lines. But I'd think hard fuel lines in boats would still use flares on the end for a good seal. Most of the valves I see at the boat shops locally and online are all NPT. I don't get it. So now I've got to use 2 flare to NPT adapters to use the new valve and they don't thread in very far on each end. I need to see if I can cut down each adapter and rethread the pipe thread taper. Just a bit of a PITA for such a small simple thing.

Have a good one,
bob
These valves - with NPT female ends - are available from a lot of places, including McMaster-Carr, so I'd assume that they're used in a lot of different applications. Perhaps the NPT ends are more universal, in that they can be fitted with adapters for SAE or AN flares, for use with straight NPT ends such as on flex hoses, etc. Easier and cheaper to manufacture one valve than to do multiple versions with different threads.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I ordered and received a new valve from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/#7910k85/=18ain4s), and it's a "Kantleak" brand, made by the same company that made the originals for Dodge: Anderson Brass Co. in South Carolina. Their website (http://www.kantleak.com) states that they "LOVE making specials!" I'll contact them next week with the specs (and their original part no. from the 1950s) and see what they say.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I'd be up for two if they make them under $30 each.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Playing phone tag with the sales rep at Anderson Brass. I'll try again next week.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Elwood,

Thanks for making the effort. Truth be told I need one for my M38A1 jeep, which came with the fuel system fully bubba-fied and the valve missing. The same valve is used in a number of M-Series vehicles, including the M37. The originals have all dried up, but it appears the jeep folks are just figuring that out now. I've contacted all the major vendors and none have any supply of these valves. Even the guys at Kaiser-Willys didn't have any. KW is to jeep guys what VPW is to Dodge guys.

I don't know what Anderson's minimum piece number is to make something custom (it's not really custom since they've made it in the past....but I get the point), but I'm pretty sure all the jeep part vendors will want in big time, as well as the M37 folks. As for price..........small custom lots will cost more, no doubt. I see the NPT valves around for about $20 from hardware chains and boat supply places. I'd expect a single one time run of the valve we're talking about to be a bit more than that. The 2012 Kaiser-Willys catalog that I found in my jeep listed the valve for $50........but they probably saw the writing on the wall and knew they were getting scarce. But if you get a quote from Anderson just take the per part price and triple it. That will get you in the ballpark of what vendors will charge for it. Just make sure Anderson sends you some first article samples to approve.....wink, wink!

Thanks again,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Probably true on the markup, Bob. However, that's not unreasonable given the time involved to coordinate a special order like this, and the inventory cost of holding the product for years until the minimum production run can be sold out.

Have not heard back from Anderson this week. I even tried submitting a request through their website. Either they're really busy; they're inside sales guy is not good at follow up; or they've been down this road before with this part and this market, and aren't interested. I'll keep trying.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Elwood,

I agree. I wasn't trying to imply that what vendors will be asking for the valve would be unreasonable........it's just a rule of thumb. I'm a firm believer in demand setting price....so if they ask too much they'll just sit. Ask too little and they'll be gone in a short time and they'll order more and raise the price. Free market capitalism at its best. But in the end it will all work out.

regards,
bob