canadian hard top for sale, picture added

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
outsider wrote:M, I think you need to take another look at the pictures! There is clearly some kind of insulation in the roof of that cab. It isn't the "US" insulation with the steel liners (I have that on mine), but may be a "Canadian" style. It looks to well done to be a "bubba" job.
Steve
Actually it means nothing to me that something may be inside the roof area, photos like this reveal so little, at least to me. I won't even argue the fact that it could be something that was original to the Canadian military issued top, I simply don't know that answer to that question. The owner should be able to research that since he is in Canada and know for sure, in my opinion it would pay him to do so if he is seeking a top dollar sale. I'm simply stating facts that would matter to us if we were restoring the top to use on one of our rebuilds. There are many other ways it can be viewed, depending on the intended end use.

Bottom line, I'm looking for no arguement.
well first i am not looking for top dollars sale, i am looking at getting some money for it to cover for seal , paint, oil, gasket, sand blasting and general stuff to get the restoration of my 55 going, so if some one say a price i will consider it and make arrangement with the fellow for payment and he can make shipping arrangement, i will sel it to help someone who need a hard top..period. i have 4 of them, one for me in great shape, one on the truck i am selling as a whole, an other one in good shape for sale here, and one with a big hole in the middle of the roof as the truck has been converted to 6 wheel drive and had a pulp loader on the back and the owner used to stick his head out of the hole to operate the loader.

second there are picture off the top in the tread, whoever buy it see's what he is getting , and i can take more picture if needed, not every body is looking at doing 100% correct restoration, some people trow other engine and other diff on them truck and a hard top with some kind of finish inside could suit them well.

third if you do not want it , dont buy it, thank you for noticing there are a difference from the one you have seen ,but thats it , i have two that have the metal insideand they have been set there with screw that left hole, this top for sale has no hole , so maybee it is somekind of different finish they where doing or maybee someone covered all the hole, i dont know and i dont care , it has some kind of foam insulation stuck on the inside and that all i know, it wil suit someone somewhere,

fourth, i have 4 truck and i will be selling lots of part off the 52 and 53 when my 55 is done, so if you are looking for stuff let me know and i will see what i need and wath i dont need,

thank you very much

paul
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Well if this isn't one I'm left scratching my head on.

Paul, all this time over several days you never said anything until your last post that you had tops that actually had the sheet metal inside. One would think from your questions that you had no idea what I was speaking about when I mentioned it was incomplete. The simple fact is you knew all along what I was speaking of and actually have 2 tops in your possesion that apparently are complete as I had described according to your last post. Why on earth did you want me to post pictures when all you had to do was open the door on one of your trucks and look? This makes no sense at all. I would have simply replied in the beginning that I knew it was lacking the inner parts and that I was offering it for sale incomplete, end of story. Most of this thread is a total waste of time.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:Well if this isn't one I'm left scratching my head on.

Paul, all this time over several days you never said anything until your last post that you had tops that actually had the sheet metal inside. One would think from your questions that you had no idea what I was speaking about when I mentioned it was incomplete. The simple fact is you knew all along what I was speaking of and actually have 2 tops in your possesion that apparently are complete as I had described according to your last post. Why on earth did you want me to post pictures when all you had to do was open the door on one of your trucks and look? This makes no sense at all. I would have simply replied in the beginning that I knew it was lacking the inner parts and that I was offering it for sale incomplete, end of story. Most of this thread is a total waste of time.
well the reason why is that i have 2 top like the one in the picture wich are technically incomplete wich are here in beresford , then i have 2 other truck wich are still at the sellers home 45 min away from my home , i went there today and noticed the sheet metal inside of them you where talking about, i had never noticed that sheet metal in them before , and the one for sale in this thread has a interior finish that could have been factory made
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

paul wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:Well if this isn't one I'm left scratching my head on.

well the reason why is that i have 2 top like the one in the picture wich are technically incomplete wich are here in beresford , then i have 2 other truck wich are still at the sellers home 45 min away from my home , i went there today and noticed the sheet metal inside of them you where talking about, i had never noticed that sheet metal in them before , and the one for sale in this thread has a interior finish that could have been factory made
I have a better understanding of what the deal is, no problem.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

CDN Arctic Tops

Post by Jess »

Both the metal lined and foam types are found on CDN M37s. Of my fleet of 4, two have the metal liners and the others have the dense foam sheet with the single trim piece down the middle. I recall that they may have been Depot rebuilt with the foam at some point to reduce the rusting factor with the fibreglass insulation. This would have been before my time behind the wheel in the early '70s as both were around then.

Jess
paul
SGT
SGT

Re: CDN Arctic Tops

Post by paul »

Jess wrote:Both the metal lined and foam types are found on CDN M37s. Of my fleet of 4, two have the metal liners and the others have the dense foam sheet with the single trim piece down the middle. I recall that they may have been Depot rebuilt with the foam at some point to reduce the rusting factor with the fibreglass insulation. This would have been before my time behind the wheel in the early '70s as both were around then.

Jess
thanks a lot ffor the ligth on the subject
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: CDN Arctic Tops

Post by Master Yota »

paul wrote:
Jess wrote:Both the metal lined and foam types are found on CDN M37s. Of my fleet of 4, two have the metal liners and the others have the dense foam sheet with the single trim piece down the middle. I recall that they may have been Depot rebuilt with the foam at some point to reduce the rusting factor with the fibreglass insulation. This would have been before my time behind the wheel in the early '70s as both were around then.

Jess
thanks a lot ffor the ligth on the subject
I was wondering about that - as mine has the dense foam with the trim strip, and a unit number printed on the foam (same number stamped in the frame). Seemed kind of weird to me to stamp the identification number on the insulation and then cover it up. My top also has no screw holes in it, so it seems that it never had the interior panels at all...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

CDN Artic Tops

Post by Jess »

Ray: The stenciled number on the right side would be the CAR (later) CFR, Canadian Army Registration Number or Canadian Forces Registration Number. These were supposed to match the last digits of the frame number and 5 digits were used on the DND license plate. If your numbers match, then its the original top, at least from the last rebuild. That number would also be used to register and license the truck after disposal from the DND. One of my tops came from a USAF truck owned most recently by Randy Neufeldt. I got a truck from the previous owner who did some swapping of pieces around. The USAF top has the metal Charles describes and is blue inside. I also have a CDN top that has the metal liner. The CAR is stencilled inside, so its been in the service with that top.

Jess
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Thanks for the info Jess, my top is a matching unit then, just sans metal liner...

These trucks had so many different setups over the production run, that I'm not surprised that the tops would vary as well...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
52m37CDN

Re: canadian hard top for sale, picture added

Post by 52m37CDN »

Interesting reading the discussion going on. I have a 52m37 CDN which I will start working on this spring. It has the metal liner roof which I can unscrew to get at the interior. I'll have to look for a serial number when I do this. My roof and hood looked like a fat guy did a jig on them. What's with people bashing in the corners?? I see you roof has the same problem. thanks Ewen
1984 3/4 ton MANAC Trailer: 2330218885947
1954 Dodge M37 Canadian 54-42324
1952 Dodge M37 Canadian 52-40864
52m37CDN

Post by 52m37CDN »

hi again. I purchased a 1954 M37 Canadian a few months ago and this one has a hard black rubber linned roof. So Now I have one of each of somebody needs photos of what they look like. Linner is glued to the exterior shell. Not very sound proof, makes you think you are driving in a tin can, and wish you were in the box of the truck.
sorry don't need another roof. good luck selling it.
Ewen
1984 3/4 ton MANAC Trailer: 2330218885947
1954 Dodge M37 Canadian 54-42324
1952 Dodge M37 Canadian 52-40864
00m37

Post by 00m37 »

One of my CDN. M37 hard top inside view...
Attachments
top-10.jpg
top-10.jpg (235.79 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Re:

Post by m37jarhead »

paul wrote:do you have any pics of those part i migth have them in one off the parts truck, either way the price is make an offer
I've restored two Artic tops. Most recently I had to fab/restore the small, odd shaped piece above the front windows.
I call it a "valence."
All the other pieces are basically flat sheet metal with appropriate bends in all the right places.
It's all 22 gauge metal.
Fabing up new interior parts would not take a degree in rocket science or brain surgery.
Take a look on an existing Artic top, take pics, take measurements.
Get the help and advice of a sheet metal guy if you need help. The use of a large metal brake (break?) would be
handy.

BTW. Original insulation was fiber glass. That holds moisture and, of course, is rust's best friend. I removed all of
that and used "closed cell" foam. It does not absorb water.

My bottom line thought here is... Paul has an Artic top, you don't. So what's the big deal about the "missing" sheet
metal? Buy it while you still can.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

My experience has shown me that hard tops used on Canadian trucks apparently did not have the sheet metal interior panels like the artic tops used on US trucks. All the Canadian hard tops we have had pass through here had no interior panels or insulation, but instead had a rubber like coating on the interior side. As mentioned, it isn't difficult to reproduce the interior panels, add foam insulation, etc., which makes a much nicer, tighter, arctic top.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com