Swapped the transmission...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Swapped the transmission...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All,
Due to my continuing expense and frustration with my existing gearbox I finally ordered another 1st series transmission thanks to John at Midwest Military (jbizal here on the forum). While awaiting it's arrival I pulled the old one, removed the PTO and studs and replaced the leaking PTO seals. The rebuilt tranny arrived last week and I wasted no time getting it mated up to the PTO, installing it this past weekend then buttoning up the last bits yesterday. I had to hustle due to winter weather coming in on Wednesday so I was highly motivated to complete the job beforehand. I took a 10 mile test drive down the big hill then back up to cap off the day. The shifting is smooth and quiet, and a relief to no longer fret over "what next" with that doggone old gearbox. Yeah I have some pictures but need to clear some space so I can copy and paste them here.

So if anyone wondered why I haven't posted much lately that is the reason but I still check the forum every day or night.

Welcome to all of our new members who've signed up-certainly glad to have all of you with us! I also want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Swapped the transmission...

Post by just me »

I eliminated (Hopefully) the frustrations with my gearbox by not futzing with it and just doing a complete rebuild using all new hardparts. The only things from the old box are the case itself, the bearing retainer and the end covers. And even those have been reconditioned.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

just wondering, how do you get enough room to pull the tranny back from the motor to get it out? I pulled and replaced my powerplant/trans with it all bolted together. Don't see how there would be room to remove it with the motor and transfer case in.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Remove intermediate shaft. Remove the floorboard. Using a rope and two guys, slide it back, up and out into the cab.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I only unbolt the tranny end of the jack shaft and spin it to the side. Plenty of room to slide the tranny back once the floorboard is out ( and a pain that one is in itself) and I'm still stout enough (or foolish enough) to hold it by the shift lever and lower it down. Sorry to say I can't re-install it that way, using a come-along to raise it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Keep doing that way and you will NOT be that stout for much longer! Ask me how I know! There is a wheelchair with my name on it waiting in the not to distant future because of doing "hold ma beer and watch this" stuff like that. :roll:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's sound advice, Rick! With every passing year I'm becoming more aware of my physical limitations! :)
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

Good Job!
John has Quality parts.
Rickf knows what he's talking about.
I'm paying for those dumb moves after 47+ years as heavy equipment
Mechanic.
Now I use a jack or picker.
Well Done

Tom
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Yeah I kept telling myself, nothing bigger than a 3/4 - 5/4 ton.

Then I got bit by the Deuce bug. Then I had to build a gantry crane. Chanting ... 'I must stop.... I must stop.' (But the new canvas smell has taken over my brain. :twisted: )
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Tom! Now it's time to adjust the valves since they've started clicking a little bit....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W