transmission Main drive gear removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

drowe44
PVT
PVT

transmission Main drive gear removal

Post by drowe44 »

I am going through the disassembly process on the transmission in my '52 M37.
The Tm calls for a special tool ( 41-P-2956-30) to pull the main drive gear bearing assembly. Does anyone know:
1. where to get one of these pullers?
2. A suitable replacement tool?
3. A procedure to remover the bearing assembly without using the special puller?

Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: transmission Main drive gear removal

Post by just me »

I started making a puller beforehand. Never used it as I was able to remove the front bearing by hand.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
drowe44
PVT
PVT

Post by drowe44 »

How did you get it loose? MIne won't budge. The TM calls for that to come off first, but can you skip that step and go to pulling the main shaft out?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

My transmission was wupped and just kind of disassembled itself without the need for all the monkeying around with pullers and procedures. Withh all new internals now, it won't be as easy. The bearing retainer nut had come off my trans input shaft and the bearing had been pushed nearly all the way out. I was able to pull it clear by hand. I had made a plate a while ago that I could put different threaded inserts into to pull the shafts. Didn't need it here.
The thing most people have a tough time with is the reverse gear shifter shaft. It DOES, believe it or else, drive out. You need tbe case well secured and a LARGE hammer and drift. Creativity gets the reverse gear idler shaft out.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I used a large flat washer sourced from McMaster-Carr, and welded on some "ears" to duplicate the function of the factory puller. Combined with the special large thin nut that holds the retainer in place, I'm able to use this tool to pull the retainer from the case without modifying the special nut.

I think that a substitute for that nut might be available from G. L. Huyett, although I haven't ordered one to verify the fitment.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776