Turn Signal Kit Problem

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Turn Signal Kit Problem

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Sat I helped one of our organization members Colonel Wayne with his M37. We were going to install the Army turn signal kit in his truck. The wiring in his truck is in really good shape and all military with the wires well marked with the metal tags.

So we followed the diagram and had a crimping and rubber grommet festival until we could hook all the wires up. We tapped into the empty J plug on the head light switch.

With everything hooked up the circuit breaker kept popping. So being a logical guy I started disconnecting the wires going out to the turn lights and testing after each one. I expected one to disconnect and then the breaker to stop popping and that wire would have a short.

But no, I ended up with all the wires going out to the lights disconnected and still the circuit breaker was popping.

So the only thing still connected was the turn signal arm and the flasher unit. So finally when we disconnected the flasher unit the circuit breaker was happy.

This unit is the more modern green plastic handle with indicator light and the black IC flasher unit.

Has anyone else had problems with these kits and shorts with only the signal harness connected? Could the IC flasher unit be bad?

I ran out of time to debug the system any further.

Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Turn Signal Kit Problem

Post by m-37Bruce »

Mine is the civi model, but it sounds like the flasher it self?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

When I get over there next my plan is to jump the A and B plugs on the connector going to the flasher unit. Then test the system and if no shorts then hook up each wire lead to the lights. The lights won't flash but we can make sure there are no other shorts anyplace else.

I also have a modern 24 volt flasher I could clip inline for a flash test. Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Those new mfg black boxes are junk and is most likely the issue. I just use a 24V standard flasher unit from NAPA connected to the harness. I AM using the modern green lever.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I removed the multiple connections military box on the floor, and then used my nifty 24 V battery system to figure out which wire in the truck went to which blinker, (It is four 6V batteries taped together in series). Then put my Signal Stat 900 on the steering shaft, and used secure waterproof connectors to run wire extensions to the already in place wires, added 24V from a battery via a fuse to the 24v modern flasher, and it works fine. My S'Stat doesn't cancel, so I have to flick it off when I complete my turn.

Had a visit Sunday by another UpState SC military truck owner, we shared stories and dinner and will get together at his place to begin to do some restoration on his own M37.

all the best....

NV