Generator Testing

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Generator Testing

Post by ez8 »

Generator does not seem to be charging the system. Battery indicator rests at left hand (red) side regardless of ignition switch position, actual battery charge (as tested by multimeter), or engine speed. Batteries also require charging after running the vehicle for a long time leading me to suspect the generator system as a whole is not functioning correctly.

TM-9-8030 lists some procedures for testing the generator and voltage regulator, but they require adapters that I do not have access to. Is there a good way to perform diagnostics on the equipment without the adapters?

The waterproofing of the electrical system is neat; I just hope that I can take advantage of it someday... :lol:

It doesn't help that as a general rule I don't like electricity. It's basically magic as far as I'm concerned.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Generator Testing

Post by just me »

It's not magic. It is actually very logical.
Borrow the adapters or you will need to make breakout cables to do the tests as outlined in the TM.
Attachments
ignition-test-set_large.jpg
ignition-test-set_large.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The easiest basic diagnostic you can do without special tools is....
Switch off, engine off. Measure battery voltage. Record the reading(A).
Switch on, start engine. Rev to 1500RPM. Measure battery voltage. Record the reading(B)
If A=B or A>B, then the charging system is dead.
If B>A by a couple of volts, it is working.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

I guess I 'm making breakout cables, unless someone in central Indiana has a kit they are willing to travel with.

I'm assuming it'd need to be something with alligator clips on either end, with splices off for the volt meter hookups?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Alligator clips would probably short circuit to each other. I just bought a kit on line for like $60. The spark timing adapter was damaged but workable.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

does the amp gauge work? it wil tell you instantly if its charging. if on the plus side running they gen and reg are working.
Jesse19rap
PVT
PVT

Post by Jesse19rap »

I actually have one of the Ignition kits above, if you're interested in purchasing it. I figure 50-60 is fair. Its in good shape as far as i can tell. If I don't hear from you soon i will likely just put it on EBAY. Good luck trouble shooting
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

If he doesn't buy it, I will.
Last edited by just me on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Jesse19rap wrote:I actually have one of the Ignition kits above, if you're interested in purchasing it. I figure 50-60 is fair. Its in good shape as far as i can tell. If I don't hear from you soon i will likely just put it on EBAY. Good luck trouble shooting
Thank you for the offer. I picked on of these up through ebay a few months ago so I won't need one.