Gasket set

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

longshot2171
PVT
PVT

Gasket set

Post by longshot2171 »

Tried search feature but had no luck.....does anyone have a part number for the gasket set for a head without the extra cooling hump?
jjw
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Gasket set

Post by just me »

Hump gasket will work with no issues on non hump engine. I use Felpro.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
longshot2171
PVT
PVT

Post by longshot2171 »

What is better....head bolts or studs? Can I reuse the old ones?
Thanks
jjw
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Yes and maybe.

I personally like studs better. But, my truck came with bolts so I used bolts. Pros and cons for both ways. Only an inspection of your used bolts will tell you if you can use them again. I used headbolts.com to get a new set at a reasonable price last time I bought a set. The 3 special bolts are not available anywhere that I have found. Mine were in very good shape, so I reused them.
http://headbolts.com/Dodge-chrysler-and ... -6-engines
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I used the ARP set from VPW, and got the three longer ones. Had to make some minor changes to use the three longer ones with the things that attach to them. I think the advantage of good studs is the even torque you can apply to the cylinder head stud nuts, as each bolt/threaded hole will have more or less corrosion in it. I used a "chaser" tap on my threads when I rebuilt my motor recently, and used Permatex #2 on the threads, wiping off any squeeze out around the stud, so it would not interfere with the sealing of the gasket. After a few heat cycles I retorqued them, and did turn about a half thread on each nut. I think using bolts even if new, might give varying torques, and besides, every time you thread in a bolt, it wears on the threads in the head. Put in a stud, and you never have to worry about that again.

I never want to have to work on my motor again. It really was a one and one thing for me.

NV
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Post by JBizal »

Midwest Military has NOS tapped head, head bolts in stock.
John
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When my engine was nearing completion, I found I had misplaced an essential small part, and John B had exactly what I needed, and had it to me in three days. Can't ask for better support than that. I am really enjoying driving my newly restored truck, as I get more and more familiar with how it turns, brakes, and accelerates. Drove the 15 miles up and back to a Cabela's in south Charlotte yesterday. Then to my Tuesday evening IDPA shooting range. All my shooting buddies were crowded around to finally see my truck on the road. We could not hope to do things like this if it were not for the support and knowledge of folks like John B and others. Studs, bolts, paperclips, you need it, they have it.

Lucky me...

NV