Did my ignition switch die?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Did my ignition switch die?

Post by MarkPick »

The beast has been running great for a while now. Tonight, took it for a quick trip to Lowes everything was fine. Came out and flipped the ignition switch and nothing! The fuel pump came on, the fuel gauge powered up, voltage meter went to yellow, starter would not even try to turn over, voltage gauge went to 0 when I hit the starter. I toggled the ignition switch to half and the voltage gauge went into the green, starter would not budge. I found if I mover the switch around from full off to on about middle ways I would get a pretty good reading. My thought is the switch has finally gone out. It isnt letting enough juice through to the starter.

What are you guys thoughts.

I will also fully charge the batteries and check their standing amps as well. Again, started up on the way to lowes with no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Last edited by MarkPick on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Re: Did my ignition switch die?

Post by MarkPick »

and tow trucks aint cheap!
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Loose or dirty battery terminal. Or one bad battery. And get Triple A!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Starting current does not flow through the switch. Sounds like a battery cable loose terminal.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Just had the batteries checked, one has dead cell, the other tested fine.both batteries are 6years old. Guess it's time to buy some batteries.

Thanks for the help and input.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Mark, while it is true that starter works irrespective of ignition switch, and new batteries are likely to make starter work as it should, I'd still be concerned about your initial ignition switch question.
Those switches should have a decided "on" and "off", without needing to find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle. When you do get your new batteries all hooked up, make sure that you have battery voltage available to the switch and the same voltage measured at the output of the switch when it is full "on". Any voltage drop or inconsistent voltage and you should be looking for a new switch.
Good luck with it! Doug
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks Doug,
I checked it out and the switch is working just fine. No power indication until in the full on position.

Thanks again

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom