How tight brake band?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

How tight brake band?

Post by NAM VET »

After the installation of my engine, found my parking brake would not hold my truck from rolling on a gentle incline. Read the TM about how to adjust the brake bands, and while my bands have plenty of life left on them, it was tricky to get the .015 clearance around symmetrically. Found just a half turn of a thread on the big J bolt and a few on the small adjusting screw would make a big difference in how tight or loose the band was. But with the bands adjusted to give a 3-4 click stop on the in-cab handle, I could run my .015 feeler all the way around with just a little drag. Except at one place on the lower band where there are some rivets, it was more snug, I could insert my feeler there, but it was more tight than other places. Just an old band I suppose. But if I loosen the adjustments to easily clear this one small, say one inch or so circumference, then I loose effective brake handle engagement.

I can drive it around and put a heat gun on the big drum to see how hot it gets, but having read posts about the adjustment, what is the experience here? Should I loosen the band for just this one spot. I can get my feeler there, it is just tighter than the rest of the circumference. Reading posts about ruined bearings in the case has me worried.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: How tight brake band?

Post by just me »

Adjust the adjustments on the drum in the order in the manual for clearance.
Then adjust the linkage to the lever for the correct throw in the cab.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I would adjust it just as you did. As long as you have the proper clearance all the way with the exception of that one spot then you should be fine, as long as that one spot is not dragging. If it is I would file down the one little spot.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Thanks for the above advice. Was looking over some old threads, and just realized that there was no need for me to crawl under the cab and havre stuff keep getting in my eyes, because with the bed off, I can just sit on the rear cross frame, and do it from above. I'll recheck it tomorrow.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Do you have the spring tensioner under the side tensioning bolt? Sorry I don't have my TM with me (at work) to provide the correct nomenclature but w/o that spring, part of your band will always be in contact with the drum.

I'll clarify once I have my manuals in front of me.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

replaced that rusty adjusting screw (the small bolt, actually) with that impossible to turn flat head screwdriver head with a left over ARP stainless bolt. It was easy to get a proper and slightly loose clearance all around now. And no, mine does not have the big lower spring that some pictures show, so just the weight of the whole contraption pulls the ring down a bit. But has even wear on the band, so it can't be too much trouble as is. Solid brake at 3 clicks now. Thanks. Final coat of paint on the rear frame and the underside of the bed this AM, which is standing upright in my driveway, then will put it back together after the paint dries. Was shooting IDPA last night, my shooting buddies are anxious to see it when I get the 30 cal gun in the bed. So am I!!

NV