engine dies after 3 min

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: engine dies after 3 min

Post by NAM VET »

who knows how original or later replacement my gas cap is, but on the underside there is a slider to vent or not vent the cap.

I have a 24 v electric pump on my truck, with a switch in the cab. If I turn the pump off, my motor will die from idle in about 30 sec or less.

NV
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

sounds close to normal, usually takes 45sec to 1min to drain the float @800rpm on my 251s.
.............................. use it ...............
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Photo bucket posts are no longer viable. No one can see them unless you pay the extortion fee.
The Jeep cap has the vent valve. The M 37 does not. They are interchangeable fit so you see them everywhere. Like M 151 wipers being sold as m37 or m38.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I remember when I was a Lt with 1/30ht Infantry, 3d Infantry division, '71, and we were at a major training area, maybe Graf or Wieldflecken, and I pulled up to our CO's HQ, and his jeep driver had just run out of gas, and he went around and raised the Jeep's hood and leaned over the motor, saying he wasn't going to let the other troops have a laugh at his expense for running out of gas.

Our Company Commander was younger than I, and quite a war hero having been shot 23 times.

NV
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

just me wrote:Photo bucket posts are no longer viable. No one can see them unless you pay the extortion fee.
The Jeep cap has the vent valve. The M 37 does not. They are interchangeable fit so you see them everywhere. Like M 151 wipers being sold as m37 or m38.
This is good info. I'm going through look into it. The truck isn't a collector vehicle so I wouldn't change it