driveshaft u joints?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

driveshaft u joints?

Post by 06boblee »

It seems that no parts store around me has any 305 u joints- they can order them but can't tell me country of origin. I want US made u joints. Anyone have a list of good quality joints?

Also, are all 4 u joints the same? The parts book seems to list different #s.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: driveshaft u joints?

Post by just me »

Front and rear driveshaft joints are same. Intermediate shaft joints are larger and much more expensive. ( It was cheaper to buy a new shaft than to buy replacement joints by a couple bucks. With the benefit of new slip joints and less labor)
I bought a carton of the driveshaft joints when I found them old stock. Nice US production parts.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I just went through this with my WC53. In fact, still messing with them today. Try Midwest Military, Try VPW. From what I've learned, it seems that unless you can find NOS, you are out of luck getting anything made in the US. The driveshaft people said that for the offshore ones, make sure that you pay close attention to keeping them well lubed up, then you should be ok. The offshore ones can't take abuse like the old US ones could.

I don't remember if the M37 U-joints have the U shaped clamps with bolts, nuts & locks holding them in like the 3/4 Ton WCs do. If so, I replaced the nuts & locks with these : McMaster-Carr # 94945A215. They are thin steel Nylocks. Way easier to deal with than the stock nuts & lock tabs. I'm trying them now.

-jim lee
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Unfortunately, small parts like this are not made in the US anymore. The automotive supply chain doesn't work like that these days. Depending on how you feel about NAFTA you may have to settle for something "Made in North America" (Mexico).

If you do find something made in the US, let us know!
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

My concern with NOS is ,well, they are 50 years old- have they dried up, will you have to completely disassemble them and clean them (not losing any needle bearings) to make them good again?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

I found a Dana/Spicer 5-3251X. It is $38 on Rockauto.com. Still don't know if it is US.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Got the Spicers: Says "Country of Origin- United States!"
Attachments
DSC00891 (Small).JPG
DSC00891 (Small).JPG (88.3 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
DSC00892 (Small).JPG
DSC00892 (Small).JPG (113.17 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I got a couple from AB Linn a while back, but the Spicer/Dana from Rock Auto seem to say it all, made in the USA.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

06boblee wrote:My concern with NOS is ,well, they are 50 years old- have they dried up, will you have to completely disassemble them and clean them (not losing any needle bearings) to make them good again?
not with the ujoints usually. they are covered in cosmoline and are like brand new underneath
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I grease them whether new stock or new old stock. I've had no troubles with NOS units having caked grease. There is only enough to hold them together from the factory and it flushes right out.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"