Throttle Cable Inner Wire Removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Throttle Cable Inner Wire Removal

Post by ashyers »

If I remove the inner part of the hand operated throttle cable (orig. metal T handle variety with "ratchet" lock) will the mechanism inside come apart?

The reason I ask is I'd like to remove the guts for a cleaning and to deal with any kinks that have accumulated over the years. The ratchet sounds like it's spring loaded and I figured I'd see if anyone has pulled one apart before I manage to break the thing while trying to "fix" it! It works now, it's just pretty sticky.

Thanks,

Andy
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Throttle Cable Inner Wire Removal

Post by NAM VET »

I have no idea how to safely disassemble the throttle cable pull toggle, and I personally would not want to try myself. But if yours is "sticky", perhaps if yo coiled it up and let it sit in a bucket for a few days in an inch of Lacquer thinner it might dissolve grit and grease and oil in the cable, then after it drys, try some graphite lube. But I am sure others will be along shortly.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Boy I can't tell you how many Deuce throttle cables pulled free during my Army tenure! We never could repair them, having to replace the entire assembly once the inner wire pulled out....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Gary,
Thanks for helping me avoid that rat hole! I thought the ratchet could be an issue.

Andy
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

If yours is giving you trouble you can pick up an NOS one fairly cheap. I see that VPW has them for $20 plus shipping. I got mine a few years ago for less than that, though I can't remember where.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC