Need Some ETW-1 Carb Seals - Not in the ORD 9 SNL

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Need Some ETW-1 Carb Seals - Not in the ORD 9 SNL

Post by Elwood »

I've got an ETW-1 carb in pieces on the work bench, but can't find two of the seals that need to be replaced. Neither one is included in any of the carb rebuild kits that I've purchased, and I've had no luck in finding them or even a cross reference.

The first one is the seal for the throttle shaft where it goes into the governor cover plate. The ORD 9 SNL refers to it as a "SHIELD, dust, throttle lever stub shaft". No Ordnance part no. is given, only a Carter Carburetor Co. p/n CAR-163-22, and a Chrysler part no. CC-1073099. This seal is like most oil seals, with a metal shell that is pressed into the housing, and a viton (or some other material) lip that rides against the shaft. I can read some faint numbers stamped into the shell - "48816" - but there's no cross reference that I can find that matches the dimensions of this seal, which are: OD = 0.756", height = 0.248", and shaft OD = 0.373".

The second one is the seal for the choke shaft. It doesn't appear in the carburetor exploded parts diagram in Group 03 in the ORD 9 SNL, or in the ETW-1 exploded parts diagram in TM 9-1826A. It's retained in the cast carb top (the "HORN") by a small metal washer, but unlike a regular oil seal, this one has no metal shell. It's just a viton (or something similar) moulding, with a cross section like a "U" shape. The inside diameter of the bore in the Horn is 0.560", the choke shaft OD is 0.310", and the depth of the bore in the Horn is 0.238".

Here's the carb horn with the seal and retaining washer (the bright steel ring) in place:

Here's the washer and the seal removed from the carb horn:

Here's a clearer view of the seal (viewed from the outside face):

Here's the backside of the seal:

And here's the side profile of the seal:

Does any one know of a source for these seals?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Need Some ETW-1 Carb Seals - Not in the ORD 9 SNL

Post by just me »

I asked about these a while ago and got crickets.
I was able to scrounge the choke seal from a pile of leftover bits from motorcycle carbs. I reused the throttle shaft seal. If you have a good supply house, they could match something. I just never bothered. Martin fluid power would be a first choice to try.
EDIT: I just checked McMaster and found 5154T31 would work for the throttle shaft. $8.07.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
mg1978
PVT
PVT

Post by mg1978 »

Elwood Try Carbs Unlimited. Give them I.D., O.D. and thicknes and style and they can probably find them for you. I have used them just for choke and throttle seals. They also have the little brass cup type keepers that hold the seal in and protect it. I will try to find some old invoices and get you a little more information in the next couple of days. They have a girl there who is really sharp and can find anything if it is still available. I may have somes notes but I have to check to see if I kept them. A lot of the older Ford tractor carbs used these type of seals.

Good luck,
Mark G.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We keep all ETW1 seals in stock. Having good seals in these areas will make a huge difference in how your engine runs. Don't forget that replacing seals with new is only good when the shaft mating surface allows a new seal to do its job effectively. Many assume that replacing a bad seal with a new one will fix an issue. That is not true unless the new seal has a good shaft surface to mate against. Always check for pitting or other scoring on the shaft, that the shaft is straight and rotating true in its bore, that bores are not egg shaped, etc. No need in spending $$ on new seals if other issues that need professional attention are not addressed along with seal replacement.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com