Overthinking head bolt/stud sealants

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Overthinking head bolt/stud sealants

Post by NAM VET »

Just my nature I guess, but it has served me well with few exceptions. That is, planning and thinking thru alternatives, the "why" of things, is some project or endeavor the best I can do? Is there a better way to do something, although the latter application has sometimes caused me no end of problems.

So, looking back and reading many pages about head bolt or stud sealants, what others have used and recommended, I have researched "high temp" sealants by Permatex and LocTite. I have some left over LocTite 592, and reading about these essential compounds, I wonder how they can seal after the mandatory re-torquing of the head fasteners? Because they all are partly composed of some sort of methcrylate ester. So when the fastener is turned a bit, the M'ester has to be broken. Maybe the sealant characteristics of the compound remain effective, even if the "glue" that hinders vibration loosening of the fastener is no longer effective.

Maybe if I called the major manufactures and asked how the sealants can work if they are turned after their curing, they would say "we just don't understand your question." Would it be helpful to use the stuff on all the threads, and not just the recommended first thread? And how much temperature tolerance do our non-turbo/non-supercharged motor's sealants need anyway.

I wonder what they used when they first made these motors back in the '30's and 40's. Too bad there isn't any experience with just a liberal coat of copper antiseize perhaps being optimal for a fastener needing a first and second tightening.

Any engineers out there with an opinion how modern Methcrylate ester sealers can work with a subsequent turn?

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Overthinking head bolt/stud sealants

Post by just me »

I don't use modern sealers. I use Permatex number 2.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Overthinking head bolt/stud sealants

Post by NAM VET »

ah, reading the non-hardening nature of your suggestion suggests the P'tex #2 is just the ticket for any fastener that needs to be adjusted later. thanks, will go get something tomorrow.

NV