Oil Filter Cannister question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Oil Filter Cannister question

Post by Stovebolt »

Gents -- Please pardon what may be a dumb question, but I am a dumb guy so please indulge me ...

After my recent oil change, I am having a hard time getting the top of the oil filter cannister to seal. I am getting a leak. What is the trick to getting it to seal correctly?

Thanks,
John
1963 Dodge M-37B-1 W/W -- "Requisitioned" from the Army ...

"Last to Know, First to Go."
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Oil Filter Cannister question

Post by NAM VET »

once i temporarily lost the spring that holds the filter down, and do you have a soft washer under the bolt head? And check to see the large circular gasket under the cap is not damaged.

nv
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

No question on this forum is a dumb one-questions are encouraged in order to learn. That's how we gained our individual and collective knowledge! :)

Is it the correct filter? Some are a little taller than others. I use the NAPA Gold 1100.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

Thanks Gary -- As we know, not all MV-related forums are quite so simple question friendly ... ;) Its leaking around the gasket. I am starting with a good gasket from the correct filter. Apparently, the first time, I tightened the top too much and pinched/holed the gasket. Second attempt, with a new gasket, I went barely snug. Too tight ... too loose ... so am I trying to find the "sweet spot?" On my '49 Chevy with the AC-Delco filter unit (which uses the same cartridge, BTW), the trick has always been to really sock it down tight. But when I tried that with this one, I destroyed the gasket. So I backed off, and I'm still leaking. I don't have any more gaskets ... Can I just cut one out of inner tube rubber?

Thanks

Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That would take a pretty thick inner tube but you could give it a try-my canister gaskets are at least 1/8 inch thick or more.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

There are two gaskets. One in the lid and one under the bolt head. You shouldn't be able to damage the one on the lid, it is big and thick and the lid shouldn't turn when you are tightening the bolt.
The one under the bolt can be a trick. It is SUPPOSED to be a copper washer. One time use. The correct washer is hard to find locally and in any quantity. I have had fair luck with nylon washers sized appropriately. There are two styles of sealing washer I see used often. The domed one with rubber on one face is actually not supposed to be used on pressure applications. The steel clad rubber inner washer works great. I always put a flat washer between the bolt and the seal washer so it doesn't get torn by turning moment when tightening.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I've been able to reuse the copper washer by sanding it down to a mirror finish then putting it back in. Worked great, don't leak.

-jim lee
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

Thanks! So apparently, the gaskets supplied with the filters are incorrect? They have been pretty thin. The top bolt is not leaking. It's just leaking around around the lip.

milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

In my previous life, I worked for 2 great Chrysler mechanics who were also WWII motor pool mechanics.
They always said "never change the gasket unless you have to"! I had a 55 PW at the time.
There are 2 size gaskets for the filter cover. The one that comes with the 1100 filter is about 1/4" wide (not thick)
I have never used them and have a bunch hanging on a nail in the cellar.
The one that is correct is 3/8" wide, and you have to socket down hard to seal the cover.
If you change out the gasket, put some grease on both sides of the gasket to help seal it.
As a note, I have since changed out the canister for a spin on type filter. No more leaks or mess when changing!!
Hope this helps?
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

Thanks for the replies. So the gasket supplied with the replacement filter is wrong -- figures. Can I double them up?

I wish to remain original or I would check out switching to a spin on.

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I'd like to hear more about the spin on filter conversion. Maybe some pictures and part number
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Baldwin OB-1305 spin-on base for by pass oil filtration
Uses either Baldwin B-50(short) or B164(long) filters.
Will try and get a photo posted later.
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

milstencil wrote:In my previous life, I worked for 2 great Chrysler mechanics who were also WWII motor pool mechanics.
They always said "never change the gasket unless you have to"! I had a 55 PW at the time.
There are 2 size gaskets for the filter cover. The one that comes with the 1100 filter is about 1/4" wide (not thick)
I have never used them and have a bunch hanging on a nail in the cellar.

I have also heard this from old timers! Never change it unless you have to. I've stuck with that, and always put a glob of oil on it before tightening it down, no issues.

I have also "had to" use one of the new washers before...mine didn't leak...

T