Priming oil Pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Priming oil Pump

Post by M37AJT »

I have an oil leak that is coming from the cover on the oil pump. Is it ok to just remove the cover and replace the gasket? The problem I can see is priming the oil pump.
I have seen some post about packing the oil pump with Vaseline. Would this be ok or should I remove the pump and prime the oil pump with oil? Thanks.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Priming oil Pump

Post by ashyers »

Had the same issue.

Pulled the pump, checked the internal clearances, replaced the square section O-ring, put a bit of assembly lube on the rotors and fired it back in. Primed instantly :).

I'd suggest you pull the pump and inspect it, it doesn't take much time and will give you piece of mind.

Andy
M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Post by M37AJT »

Thanks for the reply. I have been having trouble finding the gasket that goes under the cover plate. Does anyone know a place that has the gasket? p/n 7744135
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Don't use vasaline, it is not miscible with the engine oil, and will plug up important passages. Use a little bit of engine assembly oil, it is designed to quickly mix with the motor oil. Then submerge in engine oil and turn the gears to fill it with motor oil. I use Red Line engine assembly oil for lots of things, even on my guns, almost liquid at room temperature, won't dry out waiting for the motor to be started. And mixes fine with motor oil.

NV
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The O ring is in the fel-pro engine rebuild set. Unfortunately they don't list a p/n on the box.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

For my engine rebuild, which I hope to start in a few days, I ordered this set:

http://www.moparmall.com/1948-53-Dodge- ... -xxx_m.htm

But I am sure they won't break down a box to sell just one gasket or O ring. But I wanted a metal head gasket, and this set has one. Sorting thru the box, it looks like a nice set, and came in the mail in a big sturdy flat box, if anyone is considering a gasket set. I ordered a new pump from VPW, it would be cheaper than buying a whole gasket set just for a single O ring, for sure. Came all nice and sealed in a box from the '60's. Wish you luck...

NV
M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Post by M37AJT »

Thanks Guys, I think I will pull the pump and check out the gasket and the pump wear, then I may just order a new one.
Thanks again for all your inputs! :)
M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Post by M37AJT »

Well I pulled the oil pump and opened it up to the replace the gasket. I found an O-ring that looks like it will work. Got it from McMaster.com p/n 5018T212
Primed the pump and got it installed and it looks like it is working ok. :D
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Thanks for posting the P/N.

Please post back in a few miles with an update!
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Two questions here. Can you pull the oil pump,and reinstall it, without messing with the distributor? I really hate pulling the lines and wires off of the distributor.

I have a leak from the five sided plate on the back of the oil pump. This is the same o-ring we are talking about right?
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

ZGethro,
Yes, if you're careful :). Put it at TDC on the compression stroke just in case and mark the pump's gear position with a sharpie when you pluck it out.

Yes, that's the O-ring.

Andy
M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Post by M37AJT »

Yes that is the o-ring I replaced. Yes you can pull the pump with out massing with the disc., But you may have to move the rotor a little it get the pump back in.
If you pull the pump and replace the o-ring be sure to reprime the pump.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Don't need to remove the vent lines. Just pop the cap, wires and all, remove the mount bolt and pull it up an inch if you have to. Or, just wiggle the rotor to engage. (Takes two people unless you have gorilla length arms.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
M37AJT
PVT
PVT

Post by M37AJT »

just me wrote:(Takes two people unless you have gorilla length arms.)
I like that!! :D
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

M37AJT wrote:Well I pulled the oil pump and opened it up to the replace the gasket. I found an O-ring that looks like it will work. Got it from McMaster.com p/n 5018T212
Primed the pump and got it installed and it looks like it is working ok. :D
I don't have the OEM gasket handy to look at, but I thought the oil pump cover gasket is a square profile O-ring? That McMaster-Carr p/n is a circular profile ring.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776