Post by just me »

Yep, mine is June of 53.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Baffles between valvetrain and crankcase - Not in manual

Post by just me »

I wonder if the smaller holes in the casting and the restrictors weren't added at the same time the rods changed with two sprayholes? Maybe they put too much oil in the top at speed.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

or maybe incase you drop a valve keeper it prevents it from easily falling into the oil pan. :lol:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote:I wonder if the smaller holes in the casting and the restrictors weren't added at the same time the rods changed with two sprayholes? Maybe they put too much oil in the top at speed.
The later style 1554530 rods, although they are drilled in the web for two spray holes, actually only spray from one hole. The bearing inserts only have one hole, so the hole on the other side of the rod is blanked off by the bearing. The only advantage of the two holes is that the rod can be used in either an even or an odd numbered cylinder. The early rods with only one hole were limited to the odd or even cylinders, depending on which side of the web the hole was drilled.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I will get my motor home from the machine shop tuesday, and have studied my connecting rods carefully, especially as to cylinder placement for the off-set of the "big ends." My machine shop was well aware of the need to install my Sealed Power Pistons on their marked rods very specifically. But I don't understand how having two oil holes makes the rods then not specific to their bores. I am so anxious to get going on my engine that I am leaving the Beach several days early just to get home and start on the rebuild. He has static and rotationally balanced my crank and rods and pistons, and installed new valves and springs and other valve train parts for me, and new intake seats. He told me the exhaust were hardened, and perfect, so just needed a seat cleanup. He "rough-set" the tappet clearances, leaving the final cold set to me, per CT's recommendations for a cold setting. Cam was perfect. Polished the crank bearings. One new liner. "Skim-decked" the block. I have kept every receipt for my rebuild so far, and will post what I is costing me in parts and machining eventually, so those considering the cost to do this engine rebuild can take that into consideration for their own engine decisions. My two sons will come to help me reinstall the motor, one son being a skilled painter, and will bring his SATA guns to do my dash, and his sand/soda blast equipment to clean my rear bed, since I have the bed off now, it made redoing my hard lines so much easier.

I am going to see if I can install a Canton-Mecca pre-lube system, and am going with a 24 volt electric pump, will figure out the wiper situation later.

Went with my wife and daughter to see the most recent "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie last night, really fun to watch, but I think that CPT Jack Sparrow, aka Johnny Dep has a serious alcohol problem.

more later.

NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

NAM VET wrote:I will get my motor home from the machine shop tuesday, and have studied my connecting rods carefully, especially as to cylinder placement for the off-set of the "big ends." My machine shop was well aware of the need to install my Sealed Power Pistons on their marked rods very specifically. But I don't understand how having two oil holes makes the rods then not specific to their bores.
Since the tappets are not pressure lubricated, i.e. lubricating oil must be sprayed or splashed up into the tappet gallery, the connecting rods must have holes on the tappet side to direct a stream of oil from the pressurized connecting rod big end bearings up towards the tappets. Because the big end bearings are offset in different directions for the odd and even cylinders (Chrysler engineers designed this offset to shorten the block length), the original style rods for odd numbered cylinders have the oil hole on one side, while the rods for even numbered cylinders have the hole on the other side. While the rods will fit in any odd or even cylinder, if a rod designed for an even cylinder is installed in an odd numbered cylinder, the oil squirt will be pointing towards the distributor side of the block, away from the tappets.

When the later style rods were designed, they drilled both sides of the rod for the oiling hole, allowing them to be used in any cylinder and still have the oil squirt come out on the tappet side (assuming that the big end bearing shell is installed correctly, of course).

Does your engine have the early style rods or the late style? Or maybe a mix of both types?

Late style 1554530 on the left (note the two oil squirt holes visible from inside the big end bore), and early style 954408 on the right (with only one oil squirt hole). The early style also uses special split lock washers on the cap bolts.

From the small end; late style on the left (note the absence of a piston pin oiling hole), and early style on the right (with a slot cut for lubricating the piston pin).

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I had to replace one rod in my engine and couldn't find a good early rod in the offset I needed so went with a late rod. It is different than the one pictured in it has an oil hole at the small end. So, a third variation. Because it didn't use the lockwashers the early did, and I didn't want to have one weird one with different hardware, I counter bored the new rod for the lock washers.
I hope your machine shop was more careful than mine. Even though the shop I use is fully familiar with early iron, and for years has done nice work for me, they are starting to get sloppy. If it is within or 'close' to spec, it gets by. This wasn't/isn't good enough for me. They figure nobody drives these old ones much, they don't have to be perfect. I figure I'll drive the wheels of it and don't want to do this again. I'm old enough, I shouldn't have to. It is weird being at a place where a lot of things you do, you figure 'this is the last roof I'll ever have to have put on' or "I'll never wear out Another of these'.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

When I was collecting rods for my balancing and polishing project, I came across one late style 1554530 rod with an oiling hole in the small end. Since it was the only one I'd found, and since the hole was round and not a slot like the early style rods, I suspected that the hole had been drilled by someone after it left the factory.

When I polished and balanced a set of the late style rods for my T-245, I drilled and chamfered oiling holes for the piston pin:

Polished and modified rod on the left, stock rod on the right.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I think the oil gets into tappet galleys by being drawn up the from the bottom of the lifter. the oil holes spray the cam and bottom of lifters and the cam bearings hemorrhage oil onto the cam as well. then it kind of pumps up the outside of the lifter and fills the reservo0irs. it happens fast. I have watched it with covers off and no spray is coming up through those holes at an idle
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

The 1948 Chrysler factory publication The Inside Story of Engine Oiling suggests that the oil mist from the crankcase is circulated into the tappet gallery through the holes in the casting (where the baffles are), condenses in those cast reservoir pockets, and then lubricates the tappets from the top, draining back into the crankcase.

The entire booklet (and a bunch of other factory publications) is available here: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/ ... Page01.htm
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

interesting thanks. but I still think some is pumped up form the surface wall of the lifters. you can almost see it when adjusting valves