Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Transfer case shift levers

Post by Marmalute »

Hey Everyone!
I'm rebuilding my shift levers, and I see that the levers are bushed with bronze bushings where they pivot on the pivot pin bolted to the side of the transmission. The pin itself is worn, and I plan to replace it with a new pin. I wonder though, are the bushings available as a spare part from somewhere ( if so where?)? Or are people just turning up new bushings for these on the lathe, and pin honing them to size?
Any input is welcome here, thanks,
Doug
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Transfer case shift levers

Post by just me »

VPW & MWM may have them. I would just make my own. Then I wouldn't have to wait for them and have to hone them anyway.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Duplicate post deleted.

I had to do a field mod on mine-very similar to yours. I cut off the wallowed pin at the base and welded a leaf spring pin cut to the right length but long enough to put a lock nut on the end. The shifter lever holes are the same size as the shackle pin so I cut one bushing in half and inserted one in each shift lever. Add some white lithium grease to the inner bushings and install the levers then snug up the nut. The lock nut keeps everything snugged up and I've had no issues since the spring pin is hardened steel.

So, unless you insist on originality this is an alternative you might consider.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Sounds simple enough, is there a shackle pin that is better suited for this than another?
Thanks for the suggestion!
Doug
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

I'm curious, did you have to overbore the shift levers to accept the spring bushings?
My ord 9 indicates that the original shift lever bushing OD is smaller on the shift levers than the OD of the spring eye bushings. (0.877 vs 0.998)
Thank you, D
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I used the front shackle pin and bushing-the bushing fit my levers with no mods whatsoever.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500