PVT

Re: coils issues

Post by Rack Grade »

rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I remember you said you had a bunch of coils back on 12/2016 and people tried to get hold of you all the way up till my post in June of that year and you never even took the time to answer anyone even though you were online. Now you show what is supposed to be American coils from a place on Holland but the date code on the coil is not in the right format. And the price is kind of steep even before sending it over here. Are we supposed to believe that these coils just magically appeared? I will check with a friend of mine who happens to have a shop in Holland to see what his thoughts are on these coils.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

rickf wrote:I remember you said you had a bunch of coils back on 12/2016 and people tried to get hold of you all the way up till my post in June of that year and you never even took the time to answer anyone even though you were online. Now you show what is supposed to be American coils from a place on Holland but the date code on the coil is not in the right format. And the price is kind of steep even before sending it over here. Are we supposed to believe that these coils just magically appeared? I will check with a friend of mine who happens to have a shop in Holland to see what his thoughts are on these coils.
I bought a pair from him for a few dollars each more than the chrome knockoffs without issue in April 2016. (Just an FYI)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

all I know is that I got mine promptly, although have not installed it yet. Looks legit to me. Not chrome.

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Did you get them from Holland?
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I think he told me they were from Holland. Maybe they made them there for US vehicles. I wouldn't know.

NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote:
rickf wrote:I remember you said you had a bunch of coils back on 12/2016 and people tried to get hold of you all the way up till my post in June of that year and you never even took the time to answer anyone even though you were online. Now you show what is supposed to be American coils from a place on Holland but the date code on the coil is not in the right format. And the price is kind of steep even before sending it over here. Are we supposed to believe that these coils just magically appeared? I will check with a friend of mine who happens to have a shop in Holland to see what his thoughts are on these coils.
I bought a pair from him for a few dollars each more than the chrome knockoffs without issue in April 2016. (Just an FYI)
I purchased two of these coils at separate times. Other than a small delay in receiving the second one, Hal was good to work with. He seems to travel a lot, so some patience in communicating with him is advisable.

Both coils measured out as expected with my multimeter. Someday, I'll figure out the specs and test them with my megger insulation tester.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Here is the thread I was referencing. I believe 6 months worth of patience is enough. Note that the thread was locked after my last question. It seems to me that most of you purchased the coils from him here in this country correct? I am asking how much it cost in addition to the 85 Euros it cost to get the coil to your doorstep. I need coils as much as anyone else but I don't want to get burned over and over and I don't want to spend 150.00 after shipping either so just honest questions.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8151
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

OK, I fired off a message to my Buddy in Holland who has a restoration shop there and I will see what he says about this place. Who knows, I may have to eat my words. Won't be the first time. He does a lot of high end restorations on military stuff of all nations and I have never heard him mention this place, odd since it is in his neighborhood. There are several others, Reomie being the biggest, that he uses. He told me that Reomie just got a new order of the Chinese coils but these are updated to fix the issues with the previous ones burning up or being DOA. I also found out that Red River Surplus is related in family to Reomie so they also have these new coils. I have been waiting to hear reports on the new batch but have not heard anything yet. One of the members on my g838 site is good friends with Blake at Red River so I have been trying to get inside info on the new coils. These may be the same ones as what this other place has and if they are then there is an outlet in the US for them. I will post what I know when I know.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Mine did not come directly from Holland, and I recall it was about $80 or so to my door. No Euro transaction as far as I can recall.

Just out wet sanding the primer I sprayed on the hood and doors yesterday, hope to spray my Gillespie tomorrow, then only the bed sides to do. And markings, and of course, it will never be "done."

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

He bought a quantity of them to save on shipping. Then sold the excess to us at $75 each plus shipping. Was like 7.50 for two coils. He may have quit replying when he finished selling the excess stock. I remember committing to buying a pair when he first announced he was going to order them. Kinda like a group buy thing.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

rickf wrote:OK, I fired off a message to my Buddy in Holland who has a restoration shop there and I will see what he says about this place. Who knows, I may have to eat my words. Won't be the first time. He does a lot of high end restorations on military stuff of all nations and I have never heard him mention this place, odd since it is in his neighborhood. There are several others, Reomie being the biggest, that he uses. He told me that Reomie just got a new order of the Chinese coils but these are updated to fix the issues with the previous ones burning up or being DOA. I also found out that Red River Surplus is related in family to Reomie so they also have these new coils. I have been waiting to hear reports on the new batch but have not heard anything yet. One of the members on my g838 site is good friends with Blake at Red River so I have been trying to get inside info on the new coils. These may be the same ones as what this other place has and if they are then there is an outlet in the US for them. I will post what I know when I know.
OK, I heard back from my friend in Holland and the business in question is a good place to deal with although their prices are higher than Reomie's. Apparently the owner is the brother of the salesman that sells parts to Reomie, If I understood him right. If that is the case the coils are most likely not US coils but they are probably the better Chinese stuff. I don't know this for sure but think about it, if they were US coils don't you think they would be available here?
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

New owner here with a '63 M37 230cu inch engine. I have replaced the coil in December of 2017 with a chrome Chinese unit purchased a month earlier. My truck has the Petronics 161A unit inside the distributor to get rid of the points. I have the same issue as many others with stalling. The truck will start great cold, may die in 20 seconds to 15 minutes. First I thought it was a fuel issue. Each time, I checked the float bowl and it was full of gas. When the engine dies, it is like someone pulls the plug out of the wall. No stumbling, back firing or anything else. I called the tech line of Pertronics. The tech stated that the unit is designed to function with a coil of 6 to 8 ohms resistance on the primary. He said that the unit will shut down if the voltage drops below 16ish volts. This may be happening with my chrome coil as it is at 11.2 ohms on the primary. My next check is to take the distributor cap off, turn the system on, and check voltage across the red and black Pertronics leads to verify voltage is above the Tech's info of greater than 16 volts. If anyone has other info to get rid of this malady, please chime in.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

rickf wrote:
rickf wrote:OK, I fired off a message to my Buddy in Holland who has a restoration shop there and I will see what he says about this place. Who knows, I may have to eat my words. Won't be the first time. He does a lot of high end restorations on military stuff of all nations and I have never heard him mention this place, odd since it is in his neighborhood. There are several others, Reomie being the biggest, that he uses. He told me that Reomie just got a new order of the Chinese coils but these are updated to fix the issues with the previous ones burning up or being DOA. I also found out that Red River Surplus is related in family to Reomie so they also have these new coils. I have been waiting to hear reports on the new batch but have not heard anything yet. One of the members on my g838 site is good friends with Blake at Red River so I have been trying to get inside info on the new coils. These may be the same ones as what this other place has and if they are then there is an outlet in the US for them. I will post what I know when I know.
OK, I heard back from my friend in Holland and the business in question is a good place to deal with although their prices are higher than Reomie's. Apparently the owner is the brother of the salesman that sells parts to Reomie, If I understood him right. If that is the case the coils are most likely not US coils but they are probably the better Chinese stuff. I don't know this for sure but think about it, if they were US coils don't you think they would be available here?
If "the business in question" is the one referenced in Rack Grade's link in his post of 09-Oct-17 (Truck Parts Trading), then buying a coil from them will be difficult. Although their website shows that they still have limited stock of US-made 24v ignition coils for the M37, I tried to order one, and their online ordering process denied the checkout, showing no shipping carrier available. I emailed them to inquire if they would ship to the US, and they replied, "Sorry no export".

Interestingly, the manufacturer number (cage code) shown on the coil on their webpage is 61689, which appears to be a company called Andover Coils LLC, in Lafayette Indiana: https://www.cagecode.info/61689
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776