Steering Worm Shaft Lower Oil Seal Runout

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Steering Worm Shaft Lower Oil Seal Runout

Post by Elwood »

So I'm setting up the tapered roller bearings on the steering gear worm shaft in the Gemmer B60 steering box on my M37, and noticed that the lower end of the shaft didn't seem to be running true when I rotated the shaft. Sure enough, setting up a dial indicator on the shaft where it contacts the lower seal showed about 0.009" runout. I tried the spare steering worm shaft that I have, and it was almost as bad, with about 0.008" runout.

Is this normal? There's no obvious damage to the seal surface or to the shaft, and with this short stub end of the steering worm shaft being so close to the two roller bearings, I wouldn't expect this much runout.

There's no spec in the book for checking the runout of the steering worm shaft against the lower seal in the steering box, but 0.008" to 0.009" runout seems like it wouldn't be doing the new seal any favors. Or should I not be concerned by this?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776