Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

T98 Tranmsission Shift Tower

Post by LegionPiper »

Hi Folks,
much to my surprise, I think I pulled a T98 Transmission out of my USAF M37 built in Detroit !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c91z ... sp=sharing

The Shift Tower is broken where a Key-Way should be.
The main shaft looks great though and it everything else seems to be fine.

Anyone know where I can purchase a new Shift Tower cover ?

Also, I've not seen this Transmission in any M37 Docs, anyone know where they are ?

Thanks guys.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: T98 Tranmsission Shift Tower

Post by RMS »

[img I tried for 10minits to get the pic to work :? /img]
looks like a t98. you need the 23 page long Canadian army eme manual vehicles D114 instr 2.
im missing pg 2 with with exploded diagram to see the key way you speak of on the cover

I have one loose cover needing full service on the rusting rails. I have a few other internal parts in great condition if you need gears, synchros......
.............................. use it ...............
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

RMS is the man...

Here is another option for anyone wanting the T98...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/pts/5479991979.html
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Thanks guys !

That pic on Craigs list is it !
Right down to the rebuild plate.

The internals are in great condition, really quite amazing.
The issue is with the Tower, which I now believe is broken badly at the top.
I'm guessing there was a round pin that fits through a hole at the top, which would sit inside the shifter channel ?

The shifter top I have looks like an open channel runs from the end to the Shifter itself, everything around the original hole is gone.

I did manage to weld a bolt inside this channel, at least to get the truck onto a flatbed.
The Synchro Rings and gears all look to be in great shape.
The rails and poppets are all in A1 condition.

Does anyone know if these Shift Tower Caps are sold anywhere in Canada ?
Thanks
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

The T98 was used in International and I think, Ford trucks. I know the internals can be sourced for the International transmission and will fit the Acme T98. This was proven by Bill Anthony when his transmission cratered, and destroyed his Acme PTO. Bill lives in Churchill, Manitoba, so running to the parts store wasn't going to happen. A friend helped him get his fixed. I don't know what you will find for these, other than whole take outs but its worth checking Pirate 4x4 and the other possible sources in Canada such as Kijiji and Craigs List in Ontario and Quebec. Jeep may have had a T98 as well, but don't know much about them. A member here from Ottawa, Ontario has a lot of M37parts and may be able to help you. His name is Marc and you can PM him at marc8_2

I would also suggest that you give Charles Talbert at M Series Rebuild a call. He knows these pretty well and may even be able to point you to a source. Years ago, SECO, in Augusta Georgia brought a load of surplus M152CDNs from Ontario. There isn't much about M37 or M152 stuff on SECO's web site any more, but it might be worth a call. You might just get lucky and find they have what you need.
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Thanks Jess !
I'll do that.

Just ordered a T98 Kit from TX Exchange.
I did find out late Saturday that the input bearing retainer on the T98 is the identical size as the NP88950.
Was able to use a spare I had to seal it up.

I also Welded a bolt to the Shift Tower, which immediately fixed the Shift-Stick rotating issue.
This should help me get it on the trailer in June for the move.

Thanks for your help guys
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Wow !
I can't believe over a year has gone by and I am finally rebuilding a used Tower Cover I picked up months ago.

TX exchange has been great !
They have the Expansion Plugs and Bearing / Gasket Sets.
( I bought several extras since nothing goes right the first time )
:(

I am re-assembling the Top now, off of The M37 Restoration Guide. However, this does not feature the T98.
I am still hunting for that CDN version with the T98 in it ??? Anyone have a scanned copy ?

The last thing I need to do is reach out to Charles Talbert as I love his Shifter PIN idea, however it doesn't work for the T98 thanks to the fact that the Pin is located between the Threads for the Lower Shift Lever Cover. ( Which the 88950 doesn't have )
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Of Course I search Google and find the manual right away.
( CDN-VEH-D114 )

It's likely the best scan I have ever seen as well, very clear pics and diagrams.

:)
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

International harvester is a good source for T98 transmission tops. All three of my binders had T98's. The input shaft and bearing retainer won't work on anything else as they are a few extra inches long on binders.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Did the M715 use one?
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Hey folks,

Any ideas on where to find internal parts for the T98 ?
I need a Gear Shift Spring & Gear Shift Retainer Cap.
There is also a reference to a Spring Seat, but the parts picture doesn't match the assembly instructions.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Junkyards and swap meets. The parts houses are rapidly going away. There is only one left out of 7 here where I live.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
LegionPiper
PFC
PFC

Post by LegionPiper »

Yahhhhooo,
Just picked up a Gear Shift Spring and Spring Retainer Cap at Woody's 4x4 out of Vancouver, Washington.

They were recommended by the Transmission Exchange, where I purchased two sets of Gaskets and seals for this puppy. ( Along with several expansion plugs )

Great news.