M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Post by Elwood »

Thanks, Bob. I was fairly certain it didn't mean "ground fault interrupt". :lol:

Perhaps the "G. F. I. BATTERY" indicated that the vehicle would be shipped without batteries, which would be installed by the receiving unit.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Elwood,

That could be, but it would sure be a pain in the ass moving them from the assembly plant to the rail car or however they were shipped if they didn't have batteries in them. I would also guess that once the trucks were assembled they were given a quick test drive for QA purposes. I would think. :D

These data cards are interesting. I read somewhere that you could get the hood numbers off the cards, but I'm not seeing that info on the three or four I've seen so far. Has anyone figured that out?

thanks,
bob
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

Elwood wrote:Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest you were, Bob. When I ordered my build card, I think it was about a month, too.

Since we're posting cards, here's mine, with a couple of questions:

Interesting that the last digit of the machine printed engine serial number "60260" was hand overwritten with a "4". I haven't checked to see what serial number is on the block currently in the frame, but I wonder if it was common for the assembly guys to install engines out of sequence?

Also, does anyone know what the "G. F. I." (in front of the word "BATTERY") in the middle of the card means?
Elwood,
I received my build card a few days ago. You're lucky, in that yours seems to be a little more legible than mine.

Your truck is 80260089, which is 1224 ahead of my 80261313.
Your engine is T245 60264, which is 1299 ahead of mine; T245 61563.
Might they have skipped installing some engine numbers?

Is it possible that the 2442419 that is hand written on your card is your hood number?
Mine appears to have written on it in the same place what might be a 244..., with the last digits totally illegible. My hood number is 2440246, or at least that was the closest I could figure when stripping the old paint. But given that number is higher than that, maybe it's just a coincidence that the hand written number on your card begins with 244 and has the same number of digits as my hood number.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Chris, I suspect that the engines and the frames were not used sequentially. I've done some research on this same subject for Studebaker serial numbers and body numbers, and those weren't used in sequence, either. The commonly accepted explanation is that the bodies were not scheduled from inception to match the order flow of the frames, and were put into an inventory holding area until they were needed. They weren't stored on a first-in, first-out basis, so the body numbers were not in sequence with the frame numbers. Perhaps the same thing was done by Dodge with the engines on the M37 line. Of course, the hand written "correction" might also mean that what engine was scheduled into what frame, and what engine the guys on the line actually pulled might not have always been the same. :lol:

I guessed that the penciled in 2442419 number was the Army registration number, but wasn't certain. It seems consistent with the format of the registration number on the M37 in the second photo in this thread: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6199. The factory photos indicate that the registration numbers were applied by Dodge, so it's logical that they would have been recorded by the factory, and the build card seems like a good place. I couldn't find any registration numbers on the hood or tailgate of my truck, so I couldn't confirm it.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I do believe the hood numbers or USA numbers are what's hand written on the cards. In my case, although it's hard to make out, my hood number is 20985617....which is written in the spaces above where Elwood's are found. I checked the Registry for the trucks with serial numbers above and below mine to see if my hood numbes fit in......which they sort of do. Seems hood numbers weren't put on sequentially either from the data in the registry. But it makes sense that those hand written numbers on the card are the hood numbers.

What I haven't found is where they recorded the cab number.........the oval data plate number located in the engine compartment on the firewall on the passenger side. I figure if they went to the trouble of making a data plate that they'd record that info too. But maybe not.

regards,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Actually..........looking at my card again.........my hood numbers could be 20955617.......which would fit in perfectly with the trucks made before and after mine in the registry. Just depends on how long you stare at the card......like one of those mind-twister games. UGH!

later,
bob
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Bob, thanks for bringing this topic up, very interesting. After reading the form I went and dug out my title on my 51 only to remember that the serial number said T245A203390, no idea where they got that. 20 years ago when I bought the truck I knew nothing of M37's so didn't pay much attention to it. I guess I'll visit the DMV to see what I have to do.

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jim,

T245A203390 sounds like the number stamped into the engine block on the passenger side behind the oil fill tube. If that's what they used for the vehicle serial number you might want to bring photos of that number and the frame serial number......and then back up and take a pic showing both those previous pics are of the same truck. I think I hate DMV almost as much as the dentist. Almost. :D

regards,
bob
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I found my hood number stamped on the top of the frame rail between the bumper and grill. I believe it was the passenger side.

Brett
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Brett,

Wow, never heard that one before! I'll go take a peek and look at mine. That would sure be an excellent way to confirm hood numbers!!

thanks,
bob
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Went to the DMV today, according to them that number is for the motor. Anything built before 1955 Florida does not use the vehicle vin number. If you change the motor you are supposed to fill out a form and pay to have a new title made. A bill of sale is required also for the new motor. I can't remember when I had the motor rebuilt in the 90's if I used the one in it or used one of my spare cores. I'll know once I check the motor in the truck, hopefully it matches.

Another thought is if your build card engine number matches the one in your truck then we could have number matching trucks out there!

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jim,

That's interesting how Florida titles older vehicles.....never heard that one before either. Go figure. :D

Brett......went to look for the hood numbers on the top of the frame rail like you mentioned. Unfortunately someone put a big ol' winch mount right in that area. So it'll have to wait until I restore her this summer and pull the winch off.

regards,
bob
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I'll try and get a pic of mine this weekend and get it posted

Brett
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Here's the pics I promised. Its actually Stamped on the Driver side frame rail. I also included a pic of my original Tailgate where you can easily make out through the faded red paint "U.S. ARMY 2410815" I think My truck may have gone through a depot rebuild at some point in the early 70's based on the rebuild tags on the original eng and trans. Its possible those numbers were stamped then to make sure parts went back on the right truck, or maybe when the truck was repainted at some point to ensure it got the right numbers put back on.

Brett

Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

I emailed Chrysler explaining Florida using motor serial numbers and to find out what they would need for proof of ownership to get the build card.
Here is the reply...

Hello James,

Unfortunately, at this time, we are temporarily not answering requests due to limited staffing and a backlog of requests. Your request may be resubmitted after April 21, 2014, when we will be offering our services to the public again.

I have attached a build card order form for you. The fee for this service is $25.00, payable in check or money order to Chrysler Group LLC. I am not sure why states listed the engine number instead of the actual serial number for vehicles. As long as the title you have lists you as the owner, we can accept this. Everything can be mailed to the address listed on the order after April 21st.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have on you. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Chrysler Historical Services

CIMS 410-11-21

12501 Chrysler Freeway

Detroit, MI 48288
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454